Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Beta 2 Ecu Swap?

Old 09-20-2009, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Okay, we understand what you are asking, so here is your answer to end this conversation.

1. Find a donor car, with similar options as your car.
2. Remove the entire wiring harness from the engine bay into the interior, remove the sensors, and the ECU, buy them.
^^^
This portion will take probably at least 20 hours of work or more, if you damage anything, note it and then fix it when it is out.
3. Go home and take the same out of your car.
4. CLEAN EVERYTHING.
5. Install the new sensors, harness and ECU.
6. Figure out how to get all these new connectors to connect and work with your car's buttons and switches inside.
7. Pray it all works.
8. Find a Sam200 or other reprogramming unit that will reprogram a USA Spec ECu for the car you got your stuff from, figure out how to use it, hope you don't ruin everything you just did. Good luck here.
9. Reprogram the new ECU.
10. Hope it still starts.
11. Enjoy the extra couple of HP you got for doing something unique.

Now for cost?

There are dirt cheap sam2000 systems out there, but I've not yet seen one work on a GK series ECU. The more expensive ones supposedly have worked, and over in europe there are several that work on diesel Hyundais and others.

Good luck, let us know how it goes, but after re reading this entire thread, it isn't even remotely worth it.

Oh, also, before you do any of the above, go read every post by Airborne, Mad John, and Tibminn.

Oh, and Blue Spanish Shark, he's got a Canadian RD I believe, and has his OEM RD Ecu reprogrammed, but it requires opening the ECU and soldering in some new chip I think. I can't remember. Contact him too.

OKAY EVERYONE, HE KNOWS OUR ADVICE, LET HIM DO WHAT HE WANTS!
Old 09-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Banned

also, you COULD contact bluespanishshark, as he has completely tuned his beta ECU. hasn't given out many details on it, but you might be able to get some info from him and prevent yourself from wasting so much time and money for nothing.

he is also boosted and the only thing he uses for tuning is the stock ECU, re-programmed/flashed or w/e you wanna call it.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:42 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (01steve @ Sep 20 2009, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>why would i have to pull the engine optimo? or swap the manifold-... it takes 3 holes to put in a map sensor.

<span style="color:#FF0000">because the IAC is diffrent and so is the TPS both of witch WONT mount on your Beta1 manifold. its a STRAIGHT b**** to try to f*** with the IM in the car and you would be better to just pull it out so you can easily access it and the other sensors. oh and you need to switch the coolant peice because it takes diffrent sensors then what the beta1 does
</span>
it's not like swapping the sensors is going to be hard either.
<span style="color:#FF0000">
the sensors are mostly the same mounting they just arent same connectors</span>

the time consuming part of the swap would be pulling the harness out and getting all of the creature comforts to work w/ the new ecu.
no the worst part is after you get the GK harness out. is when you have to carefully remove your harness , then swap the new one in, then swap over any connectors you need to get your interior stuff working
</span>
i'm not really "gaining" anything by going this route but w/ the 16-bit ecu people could have both N/A and F/I tunability. otherwise for the N/A crowd we've got SAFC @ 85% throttle, or the megasquirt. the F/I crowd seems to be leaning toward the FIC. i think we could figure out a way to get the siemens ecu to work to our advantage wether we are N/A or F/I.

<span style="color:#FF0000">what are you talking about? MS works fine for everything same with FIC or emanage. either way is cheaper and easier then what your talking about. and if your only aspect is cost, then if you cant afford the 300-400 hundred for MS or FIC how are you gonna afford any hard parts that could ever take use of either computer.</span>

it's not like it hasn't been done before. airbourne and tibminn got it to work.

they got it to work before there was an abundance of affordable aftermarket tuning routes. hyundais get ALOT more support now then we used to. they only pioneered because they HAD to. i would be willing to bet either of them would use MS or FIC in a second if they were tackling the same project now adays.</span>

my question isn't is this worth it-... it's how can i get this to work?
<span style="color:#FF0000"><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">
LIKE SOCKS AND REDZ HAVE SAID IT IS NOT WORTH IT. JUST SPEND THE 300-400 HUNDRED AND GET A REAL ECU</span></span></div>
Old 09-20-2009, 12:12 PM

Well, I wanted him to read Airborne's stuff because he had it done with his car in KOREA.

The've been doing this for some time, and I think they made a PnP harness to hook it up, and ran extra wires. The only reasonable way to do this, and still more expensive than a full standalone.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:16 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

well thanks for all of your advice-...

but i'm gonna see what mad_john has to say.

hopefully he'll be back sometime this week and chime in how he got his ecu hooked up.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:36 PM

Remember though, Mad John has a few advantages.

1. He works with a racing team/shop in Korea.
2. He's lived in Korea for 28 years or so.
3. No language barrier.
4. KDM Tiburon, NOT a US Tiburon.