Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Best Short Shifter For The Rd1?

Old 03-21-2006, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have the B&M short shifter on my 99 Tibby and I'm not too pleased with it. I've searched thoroughly for this so don't yell at me cuz everyone keeps arguing among the B&M, Rside Advanced, and the Megan short shifter. I want one that has the shortest stick, I want my knob in the middle console, like between the sides of the shifter surround plastic. The B&M stick is too long and I like it short like my friends Elantra GT that I have shown. Please let me know the best/shortest shifter out there and where to get it...
Old 03-21-2006, 02:01 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

IMO it's too short.

You can always cut a shifter a bit, if you want.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:04 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

I'm not sure with both the B&M and Rside one (coz i've got the megan) but one of them is height adjustable. I think Redz had a post/topic about it some time ago... keep searching

Your friend's shifter is too short in my opinion
Old 03-21-2006, 04:57 AM

i believe the rside is adjustable

But d*mn dude...that freakin shifter is way too short! It looks like you would have to lean up and over in an uncomfortable way just to shift!

has anyone ever tried those short shifter off of ebay? I have seen some off brands that are adjustable, but for about 50 bucks your prolly not gonna get somethin that great?!
Old 03-21-2006, 05:50 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

My shifter is about that size. I have a rside. I cut mine 1cm plus when I put the knob on the shaft of the shifter slides all the way inside to the top of the knob.

I wouldn't recommend cutting it more than 1cm, and I wouldnt recommend cutting a stock shifter either because you don't gain anything by doing it.

If you need a picture let me know.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:49 AM

Keyword here is short THROW not short shaft. I think of all I've seen the Megan is naturally the shortest. The knob screws down shorter than the B&M considerably. Also my Rside Advanced, does not shorten up much even when bottomed out. The only shifter I can think of would be the old SR shifter, which I believe was an Rside Basic?
Old 03-21-2006, 09:08 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

I have Megan racing short shifter and I enjoy it, i just look at the rside on ksec and it is adjustable
Old 03-21-2006, 09:23 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, don't be so picky, none of them will be perfectly centered, and you can only shorten our shifts so much before simple mechanics get in the way.

Stay away from the Ebay ones, most of the ones sold for our cars either aren't FOR our cars and won't fit, or are very poorly made.

Yes, the B&M sucks ass.

I've used several different ones, and here's my ranking.

1. B&M = B- Too tall, sloppy shifts, shift knob sucks.

2. OBX = C Sloppily made, very loose, poorly made.

3. Rside Basic = A- Short as hell, decently smooth, but you have to hack up your baseplate.

4. Rside Advanced = A Short and adjustable. If you take out the center shaft and replace it with a section of bolt threading, you can get it extremely short. You'll see pics of mine soon. Needs cable adjustment so it doesn't hit your cupholder (Anyone actually USE those things?) or brush your shifter surround on RD2's.

5. Megan Racing = (Never had in my hand but this is my opinion) A Copy of the Rside Advanced, not adjustable but it is bent back so it doesn't hit anything. If it were a bit shorter, I'd say A+.

Blacktibs, can I get one of those megans? I need it for the wife's car (B&M, UGH!!), and I'll rate it accurately along with the others.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:32 AM

Yeah I'll send one out. PM me.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:24 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Mar 21 2006, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Well, don't be so picky, none of them will be perfectly centered, and you can only shorten our shifts so much before simple mechanics get in the way.

Stay away from the Ebay ones, most of the ones sold for our cars either aren't FOR our cars and won't fit, or are very poorly made.

Yes, the B&M sucks ass.

I've used several different ones, and here's my ranking.

1. B&M = B- Too tall, sloppy shifts, shift knob sucks.

2. OBX = C Sloppily made, very loose, poorly made.

3. Rside Basic = A- Short as hell, decently smooth, but you have to hack up your baseplate.

4. Rside Advanced = A Short and adjustable. If you take out the center shaft and replace it with a section of bolt threading, you can get it extremely short. You'll see pics of mine soon. Needs cable adjustment so it doesn't hit your cupholder (Anyone actually USE those things?) or brush your shifter surround on RD2's.

5. Megan Racing = (Never had in my hand but this is my opinion) A Copy of the Rside Advanced, not adjustable but it is bent back so it doesn't hit anything. If it were a bit shorter, I'd say A+.
Blacktibs, can I get one of those megans? I need it for the wife's car (B&M, UGH!!), and I'll rate it accurately along with the others.</div>

Whats the baseplate that you are talkin about with the Rside Basic?????

tanc, let me see a pic of how you cut it??????