Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Belt Slip A New Approach!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Coupe

Hi,

I have finally got everything lined up and my supercharged tiburon back in working order. When I took the baby for a spin nothing pissed me off more then having extreme belt slip and a complete loss of power. So I was back to the drawing board.....were to now? I have tried anti slip compounds, gator grip belts, patented pulleys that are all supposed to reduce belt slip but nothing has worked.

I have come up with 3 options:

1. Go for 6 rib pullley like the NGM supercharger setup - might still get belt slip and run into problems
2. Go for cogged pulleys like a timing belt - No problems that I can see but will not get any belt slip
3. Keep the standard belt system but run a seperate belt to the supercharger from the power steering pulley - This will be trickey but most cost effective

I am still trying to work out how I would setup option 3 because it would need tensioning some how.

Options 1+2 would just be a case of going to the machine shop and getting all the pulleys made up.

What are your thoughts?
Old 02-15-2009, 08:28 AM

Vehicle: 2005/Hyundai/Tiburon

Do you have a steel or aluminum S/C pulley?

I had problems with slippage when I was using an aluminum S/C pulley, even with a Gatorback belt.

I am currently running a 57mm steel S/C pulley, 10 lbs of boost, Gatorback belt, no slippage.

Gates makes a FleetRunner Micro V belt that sounds good too, not sure about size availability though.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:58 AM

Im using a patented non-slip aluminium supercharger pulley.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:25 AM

I went to a steel pulley after reading on the Magnuson site that they recommend aluminum for development use only.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:37 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

go steel. can your machine shop do one up quickly?

Then diagnose with the steel supercharger pulley, if it still slips go with option two.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:07 PM

I have tried steel before but it doesn't solve my problem.

As soon as I put my foot down there is a lag in power
Old 02-15-2009, 12:23 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

it's because of the damned sc rotors on those things. the engine pulley takes a lot of power to circulate sc pulley so it generates resistance and therefore the belt slips. it's a design flaw in the gearing ratio. to fix this problem, i would upgrade the supercharger pulley for a bigger one. note it doesn't have to be that much bigger. if you do that though, the PSI will drop due to less RPM and you'll get less power, but it will likely reduce the tendency to slip.

now i'm not 100% on this as i haven't used the sc before. post it up on the UK forums if you haven't already. i've heard of this happening numerous times on the alpine.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:02 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

cogged belt is the way to go but very hard to do since you have to build custom pulleys

can't you add some idlers to get maximum pulley covergae with the belt?

if you hook it up to the power steering keep in mind thaton the beta1 the PS is driven by the water pump wit ha v belt and this v belt is driven by the alternator 5 ribs beltsw..
you're just adding another belt to the problem...
Old 02-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I'd find a place to mount an additional pulley that would hold the belt around at least 270 degrees of the S/C pulley. Somewhere in the bracket, drill a hole and install a pulley on a sealed bearing.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:41 AM

I get about a 180 degree wrap on my 57mm steel pulley. No belt slippage.

Check this thread on NT.com for some pics of a S/C idler pulley a member there has.

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115518