Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Bad Lag

Old 02-04-2006, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000

Will do. First thing tomorrow
Old 02-04-2006, 02:13 AM

Will do. First thing tomorrow
Old 02-04-2006, 08:21 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (01importshark @ Feb 3 2006, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>does that definately sound like a TPS issue???</div>

Ehh, not really.

Actually, after reading the TSB at the bottom here, it COULD be.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alex01tib @ Feb 3 2006, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>oh and i just ordered some red prd wires after seeing Redz recomendation on this thread, also picked up a pro control boost controller wink1.gif great site btw www.prdonline.com</div>

Awesome stuff.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TiburonsRule @ Feb 4 2006, 01:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>(they said they didnt have a way to look it up).</div>

Is this a Hyundai Dealership???? They look up Technical Bullitens on their computers. Or on HMAService.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Anyway they said since i didnt have a warrenty that i couldnt get anything done for free. just the diagnoses would cost me 83 dollars.(may not even work because the check engine code turned its self off and hasnt come back) Thier advice was to wait till the check engine light stays on and it doesnt stop acting up.</div>

That's bullshit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Was i being feed abunch of crap? Do they have to replace it no matter what?</div>

Well, from my understanding, TSB's are like non emergency recalls. The problems NEED to be fixed, in or out of warranty, no matter what. But I could be wrong. CALL up the Hyundai Customer Support # and tell them your issue. If you AREN'T going to a acutal HYUNDAI dealership, you need to go to one for this.

If you have the spare cash, you could just go to Autozone or elsewhere and buy a new TPS and replace it yourself. They aren't THAT expensive, maybe $50 total. Replace it, reset your ECU, and drive it for a few days. If the problem comes back, it's not your TPS. Take off the TPS you bought and return it.

LOL Or you could totally rip off the parts place by returning the BAD TPS. LOL

Here is the TSB info.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>TSB 00-36-006 THrottle Position Sensor Drivability Symptoms

Technical Service Bulletin Group
36 - Engine Electrical

Number

00-36-006

Subject
Date

THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (TPS) DRIVEABILITY SYMPTOMS
06-2000

Model

Accent 1996-1999, Elantra 1996-2000 and Tiburon 1997-2000

DESCRIPTION:

The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) output signal is an important input for both the Engine and Transaxle Control Modules. A malfunctioning TPS may result in the following symptoms:

Unstable idle
Uneven throttle response
Slip and shock during the 1-2 and 2-3 shift on Automatic Transaxle (ATM) equipped vehicles.
Erratic ATM shifts with possible shift flare (engine RPM increase during shifts)
Check engine light is ON (light may go off, but the code will remain stored)
TPS related code stored in the ECM and/or TCM
REPAIR INFORMATION:
If the following three conditions are met:

The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is suspected
The ECM / TCM has no codes stored
The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) has the words "DAE SUNG" molded on the part Then conduct the following diagnostic procedure:
Push on the side of the TPS connector, towards the dash panel. The force used should be firm enough to slightly deflect the TPS housing, but not enough to damage or break anything.
If the TPS is not operating properly, the engine will surge in response to your push.
If the Hi-Scan Pro or HDS is used to record the TPS output, the above procedure will show that the TPS output increases toward 5V when the connector is pushed.
If the ECM has a TPS related code stored (with or without the MIL on), replace the TPS.
PARTS INFORMATION:
MODEL PART NAME PART NUMBER
1996-1999 Accent
1996-1999 Elantra
1997-2000 Tiburon
TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)
35170-22010

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

Normal warranty operation codes and times apply.</div>
Old 02-04-2006, 08:21 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (01importshark @ Feb 3 2006, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>does that definately sound like a TPS issue???</div>

Ehh, not really.

Actually, after reading the TSB at the bottom here, it COULD be.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alex01tib @ Feb 3 2006, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>oh and i just ordered some red prd wires after seeing Redz recomendation on this thread, also picked up a pro control boost controller wink1.gif great site btw www.prdonline.com</div>

Awesome stuff.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TiburonsRule @ Feb 4 2006, 01:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>(they said they didnt have a way to look it up).</div>

Is this a Hyundai Dealership???? They look up Technical Bullitens on their computers. Or on HMAService.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Anyway they said since i didnt have a warrenty that i couldnt get anything done for free. just the diagnoses would cost me 83 dollars.(may not even work because the check engine code turned its self off and hasnt come back) Thier advice was to wait till the check engine light stays on and it doesnt stop acting up.</div>

That's bullshit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Was i being feed abunch of crap? Do they have to replace it no matter what?</div>

Well, from my understanding, TSB's are like non emergency recalls. The problems NEED to be fixed, in or out of warranty, no matter what. But I could be wrong. CALL up the Hyundai Customer Support # and tell them your issue. If you AREN'T going to a acutal HYUNDAI dealership, you need to go to one for this.

If you have the spare cash, you could just go to Autozone or elsewhere and buy a new TPS and replace it yourself. They aren't THAT expensive, maybe $50 total. Replace it, reset your ECU, and drive it for a few days. If the problem comes back, it's not your TPS. Take off the TPS you bought and return it.

LOL Or you could totally rip off the parts place by returning the BAD TPS. LOL

Here is the TSB info.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>TSB 00-36-006 THrottle Position Sensor Drivability Symptoms

Technical Service Bulletin Group
36 - Engine Electrical

Number

00-36-006

Subject
Date

06-2000

Model

Accent 1996-1999, Elantra 1996-2000 and Tiburon 1997-2000

DESCRIPTION:

The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) output signal is an important input for both the Engine and Transaxle Control Modules. A malfunctioning TPS may result in the following symptoms:

Unstable idle
Uneven throttle response
Slip and shock during the 1-2 and 2-3 shift on Automatic Transaxle (ATM) equipped vehicles.
Erratic ATM shifts with possible shift flare (engine RPM increase during shifts)
Check engine light is ON (light may go off, but the code will remain stored)
TPS related code stored in the ECM and/or TCM
REPAIR INFORMATION:
If the following three conditions are met:

The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is suspected
The ECM / TCM has no codes stored
The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) has the words "DAE SUNG" molded on the part Then conduct the following diagnostic procedure:
Push on the side of the TPS connector, towards the dash panel. The force used should be firm enough to slightly deflect the TPS housing, but not enough to damage or break anything.
If the TPS is not operating properly, the engine will surge in response to your push.
If the Hi-Scan Pro or HDS is used to record the TPS output, the above procedure will show that the TPS output increases toward 5V when the connector is pushed.
If the ECM has a TPS related code stored (with or without the MIL on), replace the TPS.
PARTS INFORMATION:
MODEL PART NAME PART NUMBER
1996-1999 Accent
1996-1999 Elantra
1997-2000 Tiburon
TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)
35170-22010

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

Normal warranty operation codes and times apply.</div>
Old 02-04-2006, 10:12 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

if your out of warranty TSBs are not covered

basically its like this they know about the problem BUT it doesnt effect enough people to call for a recall

also it is possible to goodwill a TPS if your out of warranty but hyundai requires you to split goodwills
basically its like you pay parts they will pay labor or you pay a percentage of the entire claim

if you need a new tps and your not covered let me know i can go to the yard and get you one should cost like 10 bux with shipping if not less
Old 02-04-2006, 10:12 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

if your out of warranty TSBs are not covered

basically its like this they know about the problem BUT it doesnt effect enough people to call for a recall

also it is possible to goodwill a TPS if your out of warranty but hyundai requires you to split goodwills
basically its like you pay parts they will pay labor or you pay a percentage of the entire claim

if you need a new tps and your not covered let me know i can go to the yard and get you one should cost like 10 bux with shipping if not less
Old 02-04-2006, 08:17 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

everyone ideals are right but they frogot one thing.... is your cat clogged up.. maybe something is restriction the flow??? other then that check everything that they talked about fing02.gif
Old 02-04-2006, 08:17 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

everyone ideals are right but they frogot one thing.... is your cat clogged up.. maybe something is restriction the flow??? other then that check everything that they talked about fing02.gif
Old 02-05-2006, 11:25 AM

I dont think that my cat is cloged i just got a new one about a month ago(catco high flow). I replaced my fuel filter( It was really cloged up, could hardley blow thru it). And my car was definetly running stronger but then it got really cold and started to snow and the problem came back. it only does it under load so if i push in the clutch and blip the throttle it seems to help until i shift into second. i havent had it do it in fourth gear. I think i will go get a tps from autozone. less of a hassle then dealing with the dealerships.

Is there anything special that i need to know when installing my tps??
Old 02-05-2006, 11:25 AM

I dont think that my cat is cloged i just got a new one about a month ago(catco high flow). I replaced my fuel filter( It was really cloged up, could hardley blow thru it). And my car was definetly running stronger but then it got really cold and started to snow and the problem came back. it only does it under load so if i push in the clutch and blip the throttle it seems to help until i shift into second. i havent had it do it in fourth gear. I think i will go get a tps from autozone. less of a hassle then dealing with the dealerships.

Is there anything special that i need to know when installing my tps??