Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Bad Decision

Old 08-12-2008, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So lesson learned here.... don't buy 4g63 headers, thinking they'll fit with "minor modifications"

I need to get some pics up, but these damn things don't fit at all. I have to open up bolt holes, stretch some here, move one completely, and the outlet doesn't even line up with the current exhaust. I'm going to have to chop and weld the outlet pipe so it will all fit.

Moral of the story, spend the extra 40 bucks and get the right headers.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:15 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

this has been discussed a long time ago but i guess one more time won't hurt.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Banned

i dont think 'headers' have been discussed much, but turbo manifolds have. but according to some people it was easy..

didn't dtn say he had eclipse headers on his car, WITH eclipse downpipe, that bolted RIGHT up..... id still like to see someone actually try that.. i think his were for a 3rd gen eclipse though, but im not sure how different the flange is
Old 08-13-2008, 04:06 PM

DTN had some odd header... I tried asking him in Charleston which mitsu it was from he never gave a specific answer other than mitsu 4g??. The obx header didn't really fit up with mine. I had to redrill all the holes because some were offset slightly.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Banned

yeah, to this day i dont understand WTF dtn is talking about..

just think of the SLIM chances that the header flange would be the EXACT same, and on top of that, the downpipe going down EXACTLY far enough to clear oil pan.. and even if all of above were miraculously true, how would it bolt up EXACTLY to ti bflex pipe.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:48 PM

I also asked him when he was down here for that car show, and he told me the same thing. I asked if it was the 4g63 non turbo, which sounded familiar to him. Looking at them on ebay, they look damn similar.

OBX
Off Brand
Off Brand Tiburon headers

Major differences include:
-Notice how the down pipe curves on the Hyundai headers, and not the eclipse.
-In the very center of the head where it bolts together, there's a little plug that the header has to go around. Notice how there's a spot in the center of the Hyundai headers for it, but not on the eclipse ones.
-No flex pipe for the eclipse headers.
-Very last hole is offset.

Coal forge, what did you use to open the holes up. I don't want to drill them all out, since it's stainless, and that's taking a long time. I also don't want the header to be so loose on the block that it can wobble around while installing it, possibly covering exhaust ports. Any idea?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Banned

o, just FYI, from a little searching.. BOTH the 4G63 AND the 4G64 have the SAME manifold flange.. the only eclipses that didn't have those motors were the N/A 420A neon motors from 95-98. but since he said it was for a 4G, hes full of shit.

they are similar, but not the SAME, so they wont bolt right up.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Supposedly the 420A intake manifolds are close for us.

If he got it from a non turbo 4g64 I guess its possible. But probably not...
Old 08-16-2008, 04:24 AM

The 420A is the neon motor, and doesn't come close.

The 4g64 looks a little more like it will fit. What do you think?
Old 08-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Banned

did you guys just read my post.. the 4G63 and 4G64 have the SAME exhaust manifold flange.. meaning it the 4G63 flange don't fit, the 4G64 flange won't fit.