Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Ape Shifter Bushing Replacements Redline Mt-90

Old 08-10-2006, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

hey thanks to redzman. do NOT use gl5-...you know the "sub-grade" listed on the back of some bottles. similar to lesbians, it's been known to eat bush-ings. and search everything before you buy anything just a lesson i learned tonite!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:20 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

can't wait until Monday so i can buy these bushings...cause i waiting until i move into my new place first!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (01steve @ Aug 10 2006, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>hey thanks to redzman. do NOT use gl5-...you know the "sub-grade" listed on the back of some bottles. similar to lesbians, it's been known to eat bush-ings. and search everything before you buy anything just a lesson i learned tonite!</div>

quote from webtech
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Transaxle gear oil: Hypoid gear oil, SAE 75W/85W conforming to API GL-4 or higher.</div>

I know that's what people keep saying but webtech says differently. I've been running mobil 1 75w-90 which is gl-5 in my tib for about a year now with no adverse effects.

edit: looking around and noticed some more stuff.

well I have some royal purple in my garage waiting to go into the tib cause the mobil 1 didn't seem to like cold weather. (shifted rough till it got warmed up)
http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/mgeara.html <strike>- it's also gl-5</strike>

now go to this site - http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/tranxref.html
<strike>notice anytime it says the manufaturer says to use gl-4 what does royal purple say? to use their gl-5 oil. </strike>

<strike>case closed.</strike>

<strike>btw, sorry for being rather off topic, I've just been planning on looking into it for a while and saying that it eats your transmission just seemed like some internet rumor.</strike>
Old 08-11-2006, 12:08 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

I carry Motul if you guys need. And Redline.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Supercow, sorry man, you are wrong. GL5 eats the brass syncros in our trannys. It's proven. Royal Purple is special special special synthetic stuff, it's rated GL 4/GL 5, and if you read the bottles, it says it's safe for transmissions with yellow metals (IE: Brass synchros), because they made it that way. It also is usually about 11 to 14 dollars a quart.

To further this point, and to make sure no one else puts that shit in their cars and ruins their tranny...

1. Hyundai Tiburon Maintenance Log Quick Reference Guide. <-- Included with car.
Manual Transaxle Gear Oil Recommendation:
API GL-4, SAE 75W/90

2. Hyundai 2001 Owners Manual Tiburon
Page 6-8
Recommended Oil
Use only HYUNDAI GENUINE PARTS MTF 75W/90 (API GL-4) in the manual transaxle.

Page 9-3
Librication Chart
Transaxle - Manual HYUNDAI GENUINE PARTS MTF 75W/90 (API GL-4)

3. Haynes Hyundai Elantra 1996-2001 All Models
Haynes Repair Manual
SAE 75W/90 Doesn't state which GL.

4. Hyundai Tiburon 2001 Shop Manual
Page GI-17
Manual Transaxle API Classification GL-4 SAE Grade Number: SAE 75W/90

5. Hyundai Tiburon 2001 Shop Manual
Page MT-2
Lubricants and Grease
Transaxle Gear Oil HYUNDAI GENUINE PARTS MTF 75W/90, API-GL4 2.15 QT.

6. Hyundai Tiburon 2001 Shop Manual
Page MT06
Replacement of Transaxle Gear Oil
Use HYUNDAI GENUINE PARTS MTF 75W/90 (API GL-4)

7. Royal Purple's website.
http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/mgeara.html
Click on FAQ and look at the second question.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>My vehicle's transmission specifies an API GL-4 gear oil. Can I use Max-Gear?

Yes. Max-Gear possesses both API GL-5 and GL-4 certification. Max-Gear is formulated with Royal Purple's proprietary, Synslide additive technology to provide the exceptional film strength necessary for GL-5 applications, yet it is noncorrosive to soft metals found in manual transmissions that specify a GL-4 rated lubricant.</div>

I'd pull info off of HMA's site too but it isn't working for me.

I think this is enough. I'm not being a dick, but you guys need to know the CORRECT stuff to put in your car.

I struckout some of your post so folks don't screw up their trannys putting in GL-5, and I recommend you change yours ASAP man. You can search google and come up with plenty of FACTUAL stuff about GL 5 eating yellow metals. It's the sulfates in most GL 5. When it says "Or Higher", it's talking about higher grades, like 75w/90, ect, not higher GL Numbers. The GL numbers are just levels of certification for different kinds of engines, not a rating at how good they are.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:50 PM

better safe than sorry-... gl4 it is. redz, you are like the thomas edison of tiburon crap. you find every kinda specification to anything rd (engine coolant, trans fluid, and well every other question i'll ask).
Old 08-11-2006, 01:55 PM

Sorry man, old habits from the service.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

eh, well I'm swaping to that royal purple soon anyways before it starts getting cold.

I looked around somemore and it's strange, some places say it's a problem and other say there's no difference. If I had know when getting the mobil 1 that it could be a problem I'd have ordered my royal purple stuff then (thats all autozone stocks).

I would like to see some more info on it if anyone can find it.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:16 PM

why did you say sorry redz? this is beautiful information spread across the forums! keep up the good work! doing the tranny flush this weekend hopefully. defiantely gonna try to get a more perfomance based tranny oil.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:33 PM

Supercow, I'll look and get you some more info, but the experience on 4 or 5 Hyundai forums and friends that have worked for Hyundai tell me NO GL-5!!!