Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Any alternatives to the AEM intake? Short on cash... ;_;

Old 11-08-2004, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FS: Angel Eyes and lighting, Last Chance Sale of haloz.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>Anyone can afford an AEM, it's called SAVING the money up for it.</div>

I could afford it if I really really wanted it, however that extra $130+ can go to other items and needed maintenance instead. And from what I've read the AEM gives only a minimal improvement over inexpensive intakes for a premium price. Provided the one I bought bolts right up, I don't think the AEM is worth it for how I will drive this car.

I'm ready to put my Bomz on. I'll probably wait until I get the OBX header though. Yes, another cheap brand, but oh well. I'm on a budget.

Old 11-08-2004, 05:05 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib
Default Re: Halo 2 Tourney!

it's better to get the good stuff over time rather than the cheap stuff all at once. take it slow, do it right.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Best poll ever???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fonseca)</div><div class='quotemain'>And from what I've read the AEM gives only a minimal improvement over inexpensive intakes for a premium price.</div>

Uhm, you'd be the first person to hear that.

Wonder where you heard it from?

:roll:

Have fun with it though.

BTW, how much did you spend?
Old 11-08-2004, 10:57 PM

Default Re: dyno

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019)</div><div class='quotemain'>it's better to get the good stuff over time rather than the cheap stuff all at once. take it slow, do it right.</div>

I can't take it slow. I bought a car with a cracked manifold, crappy short shifter, and air intake box that's just sitting under the hood not even bolted to anything and sucking in warm engine air.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>Uhm, you'd be the first person to hear that.

Wonder where you heard it from?

:roll:</div>

Obviously not the first person, since I found out about the Bomz CAI from Mike Kemper on HP. He has several good pages on exhausts actually, such as this one: http://www.mikekemper.com/elantra/diyexhaust/

I spent a lot of time digging through years of posts on various Hyundai websites before I selected this one. I would have bought the AEM if there was a consensus that it was significantly better than cheaper alternatives for the added cost. If the filter on this one doesn't last, that's okay, since I have a K&N from my last car. And it will still be a huge upgrade from the stock setup. But thanks for the rolleyes anyway. wink.gif

Maybe you will be able to say "I told you so" in six months if I buy an AEM, but I sure hope not. oops.gif

The Bomz was $60 and is a blatant Injen ripoff.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Any alternatives to the AEM intake? Short on cash... ;_;

I have the same intake as you, and to make it a real CAI you could add a piece of 90 degree mandrel bent pipe. there will be no support to hold it and it will be just hangin there, as well as it's gonna look ugly, but hey I have it like that and happy with it smile.gif
Old 11-09-2004, 08:49 AM

Default Re: TICKET

Theres actually a new AEM CAI for sale on e-bay thats in another thread right now for $100 bid right now, or you can buy it straight up $125 and $15 shipping... go here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=38634
Old 11-09-2004, 09:50 AM

Default Re: EBAY Alert NEW Red AEM CAI

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jToIeB)</div><div class='quotemain'>Theres actually a new AEM CAI for sale on e-bay thats in another thread right now for $100 bid right now, or you can buy it straight up $125 and $15 shipping... go here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=38634</div>

He already bought it, I don't think he's gonna spend money again!
Old 11-09-2004, 05:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: What is the best way to start with an automatic......??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fonseca)</div><div class='quotemain'>I can't take it slow. I bought a car with a cracked manifold, crappy short shifter, and air intake box that's just sitting under the hood not even bolted to anything and sucking in warm engine air. </div>

Sure you can take it slow, you are just impatient though. ONly thing wrong on that list above is the manifold. The rest can wait, but NOOOO, gotta HAVE IT RIGHT THIS FREAKING SECOND!!! Quality counts.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Obviously not the first person, since I found out about the Bomz CAI from Mike Kemper on HP. He has several good pages on exhausts actually, such as this one: http://www.mikekemper.com/elantra/diyexhaust/</div>

What does that have to do with a CAI? It's an exhaust writeup.

Who's Mike Kemper? What does he have to do with AEM CAI's? Nothing? Oh.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I spent a lot of time digging through years of posts on various Hyundai websites before I selected this one.</div>

And you probably found a lot from before there were even any production CAI's. We also don't support copied designs or stolen ideas unless they are out of production.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I would have bought the AEM if there was a consensus that it was significantly better than cheaper alternatives for the added cost.</div>

But you obviously didn't search here, because there IS a concensus.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>If the filter on this one doesn't last, that's okay, since I have a K&N from my last car.</div>

Okay, great. How much did you pay for that K&N? Add that price to your Intake, hmm...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>And it will still be a huge upgrade from the stock setup.</div>

Sure it will. But here we promote the best of the best. If you aren't planning on shows, as we've said plenty of times in the past, then name brand doesn't matter. Quality, however, goes with name brands.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>But thanks for the rolleyes anyway.</div>

:roll:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Maybe you will be able to say "I told you so" in six months if I buy an AEM, but I sure hope not.</div>

I'll say it now. Told you so.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The Bomz was $60 and is a blatant Injen ripoff.</div>

And this is the funniest part. You bought a cheap ripoff, of a POORLY designed WAY to expensive part. The Injen sucks. Period. You should see how many folks here have swapped the injen for the AEM.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: HEADLIGHT warning signal?

Like REDZ's last comment, The INJEN does blow.......

there's only ONE thing it has that all the others don't : The elbow between the TB and MAF.

but then, NONE of the other intakes show the gains that the AEM does.....you are paying more for the R&D that went into perfecting it than the materials that are used to make it. Plain and simple.

Now since I already have a CAI, I havent really looked for a while, but do ANY of the others have a DYNO graph readily available???? Like AEM does.................?
Old 11-09-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Re: 10" sub enclosure type / amp enclosure thingy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>Sure you can take it slow, you are just impatient though. ONly thing wrong on that list above is the manifold. The rest can wait, but NOOOO, gotta HAVE IT RIGHT THIS FREAKING SECOND!!! Quality counts.</div>

Those items needed immediate replacement. It was either buy oem from my local Hyundai, which I certainly don't have the funds for, or get some good deals online. The air box wasn't even from a Hyundai, and it lacked the resonator. It was just tossed in there before the car was sold.

The shifter could not even get into 1st 50% of the time withough a terrible grating sound. That POS needed immediate replacement in order to prevent damage.

A cracked manifold certainly can't wait. I couldn't pass inspection. The OBX was cheaper than a used OEM manifold, and certainly a better choice.

Quality does count. These three purchases are far better than the OEM products and cost less.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>What does that have to do with a CAI? It's an exhaust writeup.

Who's Mike Kemper? What does he have to do with AEM CAI's? Nothing? Oh.</div> read my last post. I already explained that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>But you obviously didn't search here, because there IS a concensus.</div>

I sure did. My conclusion was that the AEM wasn't worth the added cost for how I will use this car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>Okay, great. How much did you pay for that K&N? Add that price to your Intake, hmm...</div>

Not much, and it already has a good bit of use. I got my money out of it long ago in saved filter replacement costs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>Sure it will. But here we promote the best of the best. If you aren't planning on shows, as we've said plenty of times in the past, then name brand doesn't matter. Quality, however, goes with name brands.</div>

Well, my Tib is a four-year old vehicle with 67,000 miles already. It's certainly not the best of the best. I'm not planning on any shows. I doubt I'll even go to my local track more than a handful of times. Name brand matters only to a point for me for this reason. This is my daily driver. It's going to see a lot of miles, winter driving, and muddy bikes mounted on the roof.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>:roll:</div>

Oh damn... :roll: :roll: :roll:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'll say it now. Told you so.</div>

Can't say it now, only if and when I replace it with an AEM. And I gotta say, I don't see it happening.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>And this is the funniest part. You bought a cheap ripoff, of a POORLY designed WAY to expensive part. The Injen sucks. Period. You should see how many folks here have swapped the injen for the AEM.</div>

It looks very well made actually, the welds are nice and the finish is too. The hoses and fittings are also high quality. I definitely got my money's worth for $60 shipped. It was an awesome buy AFAIC.

If I get 20hp total out of the CAI, header and full exhaust I will be thrilled. But even if it's only 10hp I don't really care too much. These things all had to be replaced immediately so I could get my car on the road.

I think we're coming from very different places in terms of product need.