Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Another Exhaust Build Thread...

Old 11-10-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 & 2001 Tiburon

So I started getting some of my exhaust pieces.

I would have them all but summit-racing shipped some of them to the wrong address mad.gif

My setup as follows

- KFX Equal-length header
- 2.5" flex-pipe
- 2.5" Magnaflow high-flow cat
- 28" Dynomax Thrush glasspack
- 16" Dynomax racing-bullet muffler
- 20" Dynomax super-turbo muffler (idk if it will fit, I may have to order a smaller one)

- 2.5" crush-bent tubing

I have a couple of questions about wrapping my header.

The collecter tubes are very close togheth and I'm not sure if the header wrap will fit.

Has anyone attempted to wrap a KFX header before?

Here are some pics of the header and racing-bullet muffler\/\/\/

I'm really worried about not have enough room to wrap the header beacuse I just spent lots of $$$ on vht paint, header wrap, ss safety wire, and vht silicon spray sad.gif

Summit-racing was nice enough to offer free collection of the misplaced parts and free re-shipment of new parts.

They should be here in a few days, so hopefully I'll have the exhaust on by this week end laugh.gif
Old 11-10-2008, 04:58 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I would try just painting it first. If that dosn't work, then try wrapping. It looks like it would be tough to wrap it. Those close gaps may lead to rattling later down the road.

The thrush could not handle my nitrous and started rattling under the extreme conditions. I do not like them. Glasspacks go bad after a while, but the Thrush seems to be less durable then the equivalent Cherry bomb.

You may wish to add a resonator instead of the superturbo muffler. Resonators are quite small and could fit into that angle by the gas tank. Also, resonators attenuate noise in a different way then the mufflers or the glasspacks. Resonators tend to knock some of the DBs from the lower end of the spectrum while the glasspacks tend to knock some of the higher frequencies out.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:07 PM

/\/\/\ I am definitely going to paint it first, but I really want the header wrap for "performance", and so I don't toast the LEDs I just stuck to the bottom of my hood 02.gif

I bought the Thrush because I heard from a couple of my friends that the cherrybomb produces a "raspy sound". Idk if it's true but I'll probably be changing the setup when I go boost anyway.

Also I just ordered a smaller super-turbo muffler (14"). I'll just sell the one that doesn't fit I guess.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

That one's easy. If it's too close to wrap, wrap around them all. Wrap each primary until it gets too close together to wrap, from the head towards the outlet. Then, when it is too close, put a wire tie on the primary as close as you can get it to the "too close" part. On the last primary, go from the head all the way to the outlet, and wrap over all 4 primaries (covering the other wire ties) once they are too close together to wrap separately. Make the last one you wrap, the one that gets "too close" the closest to the head, so the other ties will be farther down and easier to cover.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:53 PM

Vehicle: 2000

Personally Im not a fan of the way header wrap looks. I would say get it ceramic coated. Also header wrap tends to fatigue and degrade the metal because it holds in so much heat.

I have a cherry bomb on my car and it isnt raspy at all. I have a 4-1 Shark Racing header, Carsound Cat, Motoria Catback and a cherry bomb replacing the stock Motoria Resenator.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:35 PM

Just got some more exhaust parts, I hope I get them all by monday because I already made an appointment at the exhaust shop 02.gif

I also just wrapped the KFX header.

I think it turned out alright, except that I ordered the 1" wrap instead of the 2" and ended up have to get another roll (fast shipping cost a s***ton).

This is all the wrap that was left after the first roll\/\/\/

Now I just have to wait for it to dry and silicon spray that sucker laugh.gif

O ya, almost forgot, baking a header in your oven is a BAD IDEA!

I couldn't go back into my apartment for 1.5 days because of the fumes!
Old 11-14-2008, 05:00 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Dude, that thing looks sweet. Did you use silicone to seal the header once you put the wrap on? They make a sealer which I would recommend at least 2 cans.

lol... you did the high temp less time option on the baking didn't you? i've baked plenty of things in my oven, but I keep the oven fan on and the doors and windows open.

I used one can on mine and when I started the car up this morning, durring a downpour, it waited about 5 minutes, then it started steaming like a B!+(#.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:51 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

That header does look sweet. If you dont mind, me and Bill can use those shots to give people ideas for setups they can do. You did a great job!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:38 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DTN @ Nov 10 2008, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The thrush could not handle my nitrous and started rattling under the extreme conditions. I do not like them. Glasspacks go bad after a while, but the Thrush seems to be less durable then the equivalent Cherry bomb.</div>

agreed on the thrust mufflers, my friends 2.2 cavalier had one put on maybe 2 months ago, and after driving it for probably a week and a half, we were going down the road and it started to bog, then basically die, then there was a HUGE what sounded like a gun shot, we thought the tranny blew or something, but we get out of the car, and when looking underneath there was a huge hole blown in the muffler, after pulling out the exhaust we found that it had somehow clogged itself, and just built up so much back pressure that i just blew

maybe it has just been DTN and my bad luck with them, but i wouldnt recommend them either
Old 11-15-2008, 11:17 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Dude, that thing looks sweet. Did you use silicone to seal the header once you put the wrap on? They make a sealer which I would recommend at least 2 cans.

lol... you did the high temp less time option on the baking didn't you? i've baked plenty of things in my oven, but I keep the oven fan on and the doors and windows open.</div>

Thanks man. Yes I did order 2 cans of DEI silicon spray, I'll be spraying it on sunday.

And ya, I did the fast bake method lol. It wasn't to bad until the 600 degree bake cycle, after that my apartment was literally domed out lmao.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>That header does look sweet. If you dont mind, me and Bill can use those shots to give people ideas for setups they can do. You did a great job!</div>

Thanks man smile.gif

Yes, that would be awesome! I'm glad to help out in anyway I can fing02.gif

I'll see if I can borrow my friends digi-cam today and take some better pics.