Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Annoying Squeal

Old 11-25-2008, 08:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

Well obviously I have a squealing belt. The problem only happens when the car is really cold, one of the belts will squeal really loud. And if i try to turn the wheel, the pulley on the power steering and the pulley below it, the water pump i believe, wil both seize up. This all started to happen after I had the regulator on my alternator replaced.

I replaced the alt and p/s pump belts and the squeal actually worsened. So I slapped on a used p/s pump and the same problem persisted, with the new belts. So I switched back to the p/s belt that was on it. It still squeals, just not as bad. Don't know if the power steering pump is bad, hope not. I had an idea to start the car with the p/s belt off and see if that will help the problem. But after the car warms up, the problem will go away. Maybe the belts I got were not the right ones, the looked different, so I dunno. If it makes a difference, the regulator for the alt came off of a rd2, I have a rd1.

So if anyone can help me, I appreciate it. I tried searching, but didn't really find anything that related to my situation. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

could be something to do with the pulley, just make sure, i would spray some wd-40 on pulleys (try to avoid the belts) just on the spindle for them

if this doesnt work i would start looking for new pulleys more than likely, or else make sure you got the right belts, should be a v-belt on them, not sure on size but if you didnt get a v-belt (highly unlikely) would need to switch
Old 11-25-2008, 08:36 PM

I think maybe that I may have gotten the wrong power steering belt, cuz it didnt look the same as the one that was on it. One thing that I noticed is, when it starts squealing, if i rev it up past about 2k, the squeal will go away. Maybe the belts just need replaced. The problem seems to get worse when I have lights and the heater on.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 PM

ok, well check that belt, and also check tension, might not be at the right tension
Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 PM

Sometimes my power steering wistle like a turbo spooling down. Kinda off topic.

Yah make sure its the right belt, and that they are tight.

If you change them again, check how easy it is to spin the power steering with just your hand. It should be very easy, well atleast mine was.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:51 PM

I checked the power steering pump, the one from the junkyard which is now one for the pulley. It actually spun really well. Now the stock one, I couldn't tell you that, I never spun that one. Im thinking that hopefully it is a belt, since the problem persists with both p/s pumps. Not unless they are both faulty.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:56 PM

The belts are tight too right?

Ofcourse you know if theres any slack that would be the reason.

How easy was it for you to get that ps pulley off? Mine was a b and a half.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:01 PM

Yeah the belts are relatively tight. The p/s pump took about 5 to 10 mins to get off. Not too hard. Im gonna try starting the car with p/s belt off tomorrow after work and see if it still squeals. If it does, gonna try getting a new belt. I think the one I got wasn't the right one.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:03 PM

also try driving around in a parking lot with it off, it may squeal when you drive so that would be another good hint
Old 11-25-2008, 09:06 PM

Yeah true, I just know that after it warms up, it usually will stop altogether, so maybe that is a belt problem. Who knows, I will just try that tomorrow and see how that goes.