Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Alternator removal/installation

Old 02-06-2005, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated
Default Alternator removal/installation

recently my alternator said "bye-bye" and I have ordered a new one to replace it. I have never replaced an alternator and would appreciate any tips, instructions, help with the process because I can't afford to screw something up. I'm sure I can do the install my self (plenty of tools, fast-learner, lots of common-sense). I tried looking at webtech for help and I probably can get everything I need from there but I cannot view the site from this computer, and won't be able to look at their website for a few days (I'm stuck at home till the alternator arrives). Thanks guys.

-Patrick
Old 02-06-2005, 09:00 PM

most important thing is to make sure your battery is fully charged. if not itll mess the new alternator up. besides that it hould be pretty basic.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:03 PM

The alternator pully serves as the tension pully for the second belt. Just loosen those two bolts near the belt (this will alow you to move the alternator) and take the belt off the pully..then there should be two bolts to remove from there..if memory serves me right...and you should be able to pull it out.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:18 PM

Thank you VERY much bryce. i didn't know that, figured but wasn't sure...?
I did drive on just the battery power (w/o the alternator working to continuosly charge it) today to the autoparts store. I will have to get a battery charger and voltmeter. thanks guys. keep adding, maybe I'll do a write up but it may not be that useful for a tuner site (not like this is a 'repair your hyundai" site).
Old 02-06-2005, 09:21 PM

I would disconnect your battery before either unhooking the old alternator or hooking up the new.. I believe the lead that runs between the two is ALWAYS hot.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:46 PM

Thanks Mad, and yes it IS always hot. I will disconnect neg. terminal before beginning
Old 02-07-2005, 07:09 AM

the mud guard/shield.. whatever it is on the passenger side is in the way. Take it off before starting. there is a long bolt in the bottom that you cant get out if its on.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:24 AM

To save you the search on HMA
http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.a...id=12643#_12643
Old 02-07-2005, 08:57 AM

when you reinstall it, the belt tension should be about a 1/4 inch of play (<<is that the right amount, someone agree with me on it) on the belt. if its to tight it will wear your bearings out, and lead to the premature death of your altenator. to lose it can squel and slip, posibly even fly off, causing a dead battery.