Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Alternator Questions...

Old 02-05-2006, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

What say you make an appointment for me and I drive to ABQ and give him my core in person. Or just rebuild the one on my car. (I don't really trust it though...)

I plan on getting a blue top optima, I heard if you don't have the right alternator (not related to Amp Output) then the battery can fry your alternator and eventually die itself. REDZ, I know you have had to Blue Top (light grey casing or dark grey?) for a while... any problems with the alternator? I reeeeeallly friggin want a blue top.

wink1.gif
Old 02-05-2006, 06:22 PM

What say you make an appointment for me and I drive to ABQ and give him my core in person. Or just rebuild the one on my car. (I don't really trust it though...)

I plan on getting a blue top optima, I heard if you don't have the right alternator (not related to Amp Output) then the battery can fry your alternator and eventually die itself. REDZ, I know you have had to Blue Top (light grey casing or dark grey?) for a while... any problems with the alternator? I reeeeeallly friggin want a blue top.

wink1.gif
Old 02-05-2006, 10:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Sorry guys, I never got a notification about this thread.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (long @ Feb 5 2006, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>they cant rebuild it any higher for you?</div>

They said the most they could do on it is 110, maybe 120. But they haven't seen it yet either. I think that would be more than enough though, don't you guys?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Patreezy @ Feb 5 2006, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>What say you make an appointment for me and I drive to ABQ and give him my core in person. Or just rebuild the one on my car. (I don't really trust it though...)</div>

We can do that if you want. I'm picking up a spare one for a CORE from TC, and maybe one more so I can have a few done.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I plan on getting a blue top optima, I heard if you don't have the right alternator (not related to Amp Output) then the battery can fry your alternator and eventually die itself. REDZ, I know you have had to Blue Top (light grey casing or dark grey?) for a while... any problems with the alternator? I reeeeeallly friggin want a blue top.</div>

2.5 years now, no issues at all.

Either way I'm getting mine done. I'll do the guinea pig work on it. I just wanna know if it's enough of an upgrade. 20 to 30 more amps of juice for $135.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:47 PM

I've gone through 4x alternators in 7 years.
1x standard bosch
1x heavy duty bosch
2x secondhand oem

And I don't even have a complex audio system.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:05 PM

^^ how close is your downpipe to your alternator. It may be heat that's killing your alternator, not electrical load.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:29 AM

So, anyone wanna answer my questions here??!!?!?!
Old 02-07-2006, 01:18 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Why go through all that hassle .. I had mine rebuilt for $75 last year around this time and it's still runnin strong.

I believe 90A is correct
Old 02-07-2006, 01:41 PM

The less you bump up the amps, the longer it will survive. Which still may not be long.

I think it's great that you're doing this, but I personally wouldn't get a stock alternator rewound for HO unless it was from a local shop and with a great warranty, so I could quickly get replacements when it craps out, as they tend to be short-lived.

Now if that comes with free, no questions asked replacement for a year or two, I might be interested, because it's a decent price even with shipping.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:04 PM

Hmmm, Long had a stock one rewound to 160Amps with a good warranty. I think we should be okay. And it's not just some shop doing it, it's ALL this shop does.

It's not a hassle at all to do though.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:19 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

redz as you know i got access to about 4 elantras taht still have there alternators i could pick up some cores for people who are interested..... pay for the one from the yard and you wont have to pay to ship yours to redz and have to worry about down time then you can sell your stocker for what you paid me for lmao.gif

if anyone doesnt think this makes sence cuz ive had a few beers...