Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Alternator Help!

Old 02-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

mine just trickles a little bit, not much... probably a handful of oil
Old 02-19-2010, 09:12 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

You're belt could just be loose.. If you're engine isn't spinning the alternator like it should be it's not going to produce a charge like it should. Also a loose belt will cause the rubber of the belt to squeal against the metal pulley..

Just check the tension and tighten. I bet you're problems will go away.

If it is an alternator problem (take it off and test it) make sure you tension the belt properly when installing new one.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:50 AM

I have the exact same problem. It squeals when i first turn my car on, when i turn the wheel, and turn on my lights etc. I took it to autozone and they tested it and said it was bad. I got a new one and it did the exact same thing a couple days later. Took it the a local mechanic and he said that it was loose and out of line. I got it back from him and not a week or so later it was making that noise. Bought new belts and it didnt work. I had my dad look at it and he noticed that when i turned the wheel, the pulleys on the steering pump actually sputtered and stopped until i straightened the wheel up. I dont know if that means those are just bad pulleys or my pump is just done. Its worse in the cold weather as well. Im going to replace the steering pump and see if that works, if not i dont know what to do either.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Mwood, Patreezy is right: check belt tension is good (even extra-tight would be ok for a brief test).

You do NOT have to take off the oil filter if you will unbolt the fans. It comes out the bottom with the filter on, fans loose. Check the alternator removal/replacement DIY

97blacktibby remove the power steering belt and see if the problem goes away. Then start your own thread wink1.gif
Old 02-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

oh.... wow, sorry I missed that. I've never had to take off the oil filter b/c of the alternator. I've replaced my alternator before without removing anything but the alt. I can't say it was easy, may have been easier if I removed something, but I did it regardless.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:00 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

^ ditto, was kind of a pain but you can get it out
Old 02-20-2010, 08:05 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

just did not want to force it with having big ass Hyundai filter and oil sandwhich plate as well...

was going to try and get this done yesterday, but had to go pick up traction bars from greyhound and then ended up at the outlet malls...

so hopefully today i can....

also about the belt tension, its a brand new ALT and PS belt...i had them suckers tight as shit...but i will try again and then if that dont help, going to take off to have it check...

Old 02-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

02.gif too-tight belts will kill the bearings. Better to err on the side of loose, which results in squealing and poor performance from the belt-driven accessories, than too tight, and DEAD accessories.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:58 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

ok so i just got back from autozone to have them check it and well it passed...

but the belt i got from them before was too tight without tension on it, which ended me to cut it to get alternator off.

so i ended up taking both old and new belt to get another one, so hopefully this is the problem...if not...its water pump IMO

EDIT

well it was the belt and the tension of it...so the second new belt was the key and now, dont have that noise...

appreciate everyones help...

oh yeah Stocker...taking out the AC fan does the trick
Old 02-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

wink1.gif I'm glad you got it sorted.