Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Airram + Ceramic Coat + 65mm Bbtb = Omfg!

Old 09-10-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Sep 10 2006, 02:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>told ya it didn't work with the airram nana.gif is your cruise control sitting this round out like mine?</div>

No, you told me YOU couldn't get it to work with it. It does work with the airram, just takes some custom mounting. I have a bracket we were making to mount it with, but none of my drillbits will drill through that damned thing. I also seem to have a shortage of nuts to fit my spare bolts here. No biggie. My cruise will be up before I go to Nopi.

BTW, I don't know why everyone has had problems with the cable bracket. I took the one off of the OEM IM, bolted it onto the Airram bracket, and it works perfectly. Pics will show that.

Seriously mang, I gotta agree, your mechanics suck. LOL

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (raaqi @ Sep 10 2006, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>What's the big bonus with it? Good for NA applications too?</div>

I believe I said that above, exactly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kb5133 @ Sep 10 2006, 04:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>"Highly recommend it to everyone" as in you know somewhere where we can buy an airram or a 65mm bbtb? I can probably find the Holy Grail easier 02.gif .</div>

Hahahahah, unfortunately, neither are made anymore.

Sorry guys.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phorq @ Sep 10 2006, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Not entirely on topic, and I never mentioned this when I installed my Airram/Outlaw-Spacers/61mm combo... but I didn't notice any gains. Weird, right? Installed everything to the specs on all previous DIYs too. Guess I'll look over your DIY when you post it and compare.</div>

Very wierd. You got a CAI? Do you drive your car hard? I push mine a bit, and the move from the OEM IM/58MM BBTB to what I did last night was night and day difference. The growling intake noise, even at low RPM's, is stunning. Right around 5K to Redline, the sound is insane. I'm not really doing a DIY, but there will be some helpful info.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tibby01 @ Sep 10 2006, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>sr has a really nice looking black 65mm throttle body.</div>

Unfortunately, this is probably the only one you can get anymore. And even more unfortunately, not the fact that it's Team SR/EvoFusion/Shark Racing, the TB is made by System GTR. They have severe quality problems, but occasionaly turn out a product with no issues.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ Sep 10 2006, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If you zoom in on this pic, you can see what I did to keep my cruise..Are you talking about the cruise cable, or the cruise pump?</div>

I was talking about the Cable Unit, I said that in the first post bro. I can't zoom in on your pic though. LOL

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>For the pump, I just made a bracket that had 4 holes in it, about 3 inches long, and used 2 nuts/bolts to extend the pump a little further, since it wouldn't mate up with the OEM mount anymore.</div>

My pump unit is fine, why would you need to relocate that?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>If you were talking about the cable, then I again made my own bracket, just find a piece of scrap, drill 4 holes and put a 90 deg. bend in the middle, one for cruise, one for throttle.</div>

No need bro, just used the bracket off of the OEM IM, bolted it on. Will post pics today.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>For the idling issue, can't you adjust the screw on your TB? That's what I did, because mine idled a little higher after installing this also.</div>

Idle adjustment is completely done, but it's still idling high. Completely drivable, but high. My dad did the adjusting last night (old muscle car racer, currently finishing a El Camino at home, along with his Model A), and said there is no more adjustment. I'm going to mess with it a bit today and see what I can do, but I'm more anxious to get my GT headers installed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>BTW, where's the pics!????</div>

As in the first post, pics will be up today. It was late last night when we finished, and I twisted my knee when working. Not to mention the 2 degrading disks in my lower back were killing me. My hand hurts enough right now it's hard to type. No worries though, time to rest and recover when you die right?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I think the airram got rid of it, for me anyway.</div>

Between the pulleys and 1.8L ECU, that spot has been gone for some time for me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>HKC, why is your cruise sitting this one out? It's easy to mod it and DIY to make it work..don't go to mechanics!! wink1.gif</div>

Word. There is NO reason, at all, that you can't use cruise here.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:53 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

What ever happened to the throttle body we were going to get BDL to make?
Old 09-10-2006, 01:04 PM

Well, I don't really have a OEM one to send them, but they were interested. Blacktibs was going to take his spare stuff there, I gave him the info, but I don't think he ever did it man.

We'll see them at Nopi probably.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:43 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

You got the OEM cable bracket to fit on the airram? without modification? wtf? It was such a pita for me to keep my cruise.

And you got the cruise pump to stay? Most people flip it upside down and mount it to the strut mount, but I noticed on the pump there is a "This side up" so I just made an extender bracket...

redz your car is weird...lmao.gif

Oh yeah, how long did it take you to fit your intake elbow over that monster 65mm throttle body? That seems like one of the easier parts of the install, but for me, it was one of the most frustrating. LOL.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:20 PM

Dude, you'll see in the pictures.

1. Leave the Airram throttle cable bracket in place.

2. Remove the OEM one from the OEM IM.

3. Use a nut and bolt to secure the UPPER hole on the OEM bracket to the airram bracket.

4. Adjust the angle to match the lines up to the TB.

5. Add another bolt and nut to the bottom hole to secure in place. Done.

The cruise PUMP is the module BEHIND your strut mount, not to the right of it. The Cable unit has no electrical connections, only a vaccum line, so it is not the pump. THAT is the one that I'm making a mount for.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ Sep 10 2006, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>redz your car is weird...lmao.gif</div>

How so? LOL I just look at things differently than most folks and try odd things. They work.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Oh yeah, how long did it take you to fit your intake elbow over that monster 65mm throttle body? That seems like one of the easier parts of the install, but for me, it was one of the most frustrating. LOL.</div>

You know, it was VERY easy. Extremely easy in fact. I let my dad do it. LMAO

In reality though, it was still easy. The intake elbow tube I bought for a replacement is available at the ricer isle at Autozone, 45 degree angle. I bought 2 of their 3 inch rubber couplers, that both come with an adapter to use them on 2.5inch connections.

Here is the easy part.

1. You put the adapter ring on the MAF and the BBTB.

2. Put the coupler on the adapter ring on both items.

3. Put the clamps in place and tighten.

4. Put the intake elbow in place,

5. Mark the intake elbow on the bottom for the vaccum line for the idle bypass.

6. Remove the elbow and use the hole cutting bit to drill the hole through the plastic intake elbow.

7. Clean hole with a razor knife.

8. Insert largest grommet from vaccum adapter kit, insert largest vaccum nipple in kit.

9. Put OEM vaccum line, 90 degree bend END on the nipple you just put in, and clamp it. Reinstall the intake tube.

Done.

A bit confused? I didn't take pictures before we put it in, but I WILL get all the part #'s, and make a paint drawing of what I did, so others can do the same.

Here are the pics.

Click on them to enlarge.

^^^
Airram and GT Headers, back from Titanium Ceramic Coat.

^^^
Airram with the OEM throttle bracket in place. We had to end out swapping to the middle hole to hold it, so the cable wasn't at a crazy angle. So if you do this, use the MIDDLE hole.

^^^
Installed and running.

^^^
Installed, closer up on 56MM BBTB and the new elbow piping.

^^^
Closer up of the new intake elbow, showing the vaccum attachment and OEM hose/clamps used to get the Idle Bypass to work correctly.

^^^
Showing it installed, with the OEM throttle cable attached in it's near final position. One more bolt/nut goes in the lower hole to lock it in place against the Airram throttle bracket.

^^^
Shot showing the injector wiring harness going around like OEM.

^^^
Shot showing how clean the engine bay looks around the coilpacks without the hoses there anymore. Note the hose clamps holding the valve cover vacuum hoses in place from a spare tiburon hose.

Drove it some more tonight, and I'm happy as a clam. I'm going to try to get the idle corrected tomorros by messing with the TPS.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

That intake elbow looks kick ass! Just curious, because I can't really tell from the pics, but did you reuse the stock line from your IAC to the intake elbow? And the breather line (other line that runs into the stock intake elbow) is just rooted to a catch can? How much did all this cost, and more importantly, if I PayPal you some cash, can you buy it for me and mail it this way? laugh.gif
Old 09-10-2006, 09:50 PM

YES, I did, GOOD eye there! Dude, here's what I had to buy.

1. 4 inches of 3/4 inch vaccum hose.

AUTOZONE FOR THE REST BELOW

2. Spectre Part # 8711 (Vaccum/Sensor Adapter Kit) $6.99

3. Spectre Part # 8771, Coupler kit (3 inch, comes with 2.5 inch adapters), $6.99 each, you need 2 of them.

4. Spectre Part # 8738, 45 Degree Elbow Intake Tube, $14.99 I believe.

That's it.

Here's what you do.

Step 1.

Take #1 above, put that coming vertically out of the airram. Put the Idle Bypass valve into the hose you just placed (don't forget the clamps), with the LONG end pointing towards the TB opening. Place the OEM Idle bypass tubing (small 2.5 inch section) on this end.

Step 2.

Take # 3 above and put one 2.5 inch adapter on the BBTB flange, and one on the MAF sensor lip. Push the Coupler over the adapter ring, and tighten securely with a hose clamp.

Step 3.

Take the OEM INTAKE ELBOW, and using some patience, a razor knife, and pliars, remove the hard plastic pipe nipple (LARGE ONE) from the OEM INTAKE ELBOW. Clean it thuroughly. Place it inside the short OEM hose you put on the Idle Bypass in step 1 above. Use a hose clamp.

Step 4.

Take the Idle Bypass LONG hose and push this over the nipple exposed in step 3 above. Use a hose clamp.

Step 5.

Install the airram

Step 6.

Take part #4 above, put it in place between MAF and BBTB, and mark where the the LONG idle bypass hose matches up.

Step 7.

Take #4 out, and use #2 to drill a large hose in the proper spot. Slowly but firmly. Clean off the excess plastic flash after you remove the too. Insert the LARGE grommet from the #2 kit, and the largest of the intake tube adapters included in the kit.

Step 8.

Replace #4 in the intake system, and tighten down the hose clamps. Place the LONG idle bypass tube on the nipple you put in place, and clamp.

DONE.

The nice thing about the sensor adapter kit is you can put your hose connections anywhere, and it looks professional, AND it comes with 2 hole saws.

The breather line, you got that right too. I replaced my PCV valve with a brass fitting, routed both lines to a vaccum T, and that line to my catch can. No more oily discharge in my intake or BBTB at ALL.

Total price for what you need, depends on what exactly you need. Do you want the intake parts for the elbow, or to include the fitting for the PCV?

Let me know, I'll get you a price. Or you can just get them locally.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:00 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

Looks good but don't they do a polished finish ceramic coating?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:06 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yah the airram doesnt look as sexy when its not polished.

I dont think phorq really drives hard either btw, not hard enough to notice 5-10 whp anyway.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:39 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Subaru WRX

You can buy the Airram right here: http://www.performancecoupe.co.uk/Hyundai%...n3Induction.htm

Granted, it's a little more expensive... wink1.gif

They also have a 65mm TB right beside it, made by none other then Tigerlilly! (I called their shop today, and they BOTH in stock!)