Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Airbag Light On

Old 09-17-2008, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In March of 2008 my airbags deployed. I replaced pab and dab (driver/passenger airbags) and control module. The only thing I didn't change was the clockspring. I did this with the battery disconnected, OBVIOUSLY! When I connected the battery, turned the key to the ON position, I noticed that the airbag light was off. I was happy :-) Turned the engine over and the light remained off :-)

Now (6 months later), I'm changing my interior dash lights to blue LEDs. I also bought an RD2 gauge cluster so that I can put in my speedhut gauge faces. The engine was turned off, the key was not in the ignition, BUT, the battery was connected. I removed my RD1 gauge cluster from my dashboard and replaced it with the RD2 cluster to see that it was working. I turned on the dash lights. I can't remember if I turned the key to the ON position. I was happy that my RD2 cluster was working, so I removed it and put my RD1 cluster back. When I turned the engine over, I now have the airbag light on.

I did a search and found that if you turn the engine over with the cluster removed, that you will get the airbag light to go on, but I didn't turn the engine over with the cluster out. Is the airbag light on, related to swapping with the RD2 cluster? Would it have something to do with not replacing the clock spring?

One last thing that I should mention is that the RD2 cluster doesn't seem to have the airbag light working. I checked the lightbulb on that cluster and it was fine. I put in a brand-new bulb, replaced the RD2 cluster but the airbag light wouldn't go on with this cluster. Even during the engine start-up test, where normally the airbag light flashes for a few seconds, this doesn't happen on the RD2 cluster (the light won't light up at all in the RD2 cluster).

Any ideas, guys?
Old 09-27-2008, 09:46 PM

For those who have put in an RD2 cluster to replace their RD1 cluster, did the airbag light work? My guess is that it didn't. Obvioulsy you would know whenever you turn on your car; the airbag light is supposed for flash a few times and then turn off.

I traced the circuit going to the airbag light bulb at the back of the RD2 gauge cluster. The top terminal of where the airbag lightbulb screws into (at the back of the cluster), correctly went to the third pin (from the bottom) of the connector in the dash where the cluster actually connects/pushes into. This connection is the same as that of my RD1 cluster. Now, for the bottom terminal of the airbag light bulb on my RD2 cluster, it was connecting to the second last pin. But on the RD1, the second last pin of the connector in the dash (where the cluster plugs/pushes into) is missing. The bottomterminal needs to connect to the first pin of the right dash connector. It's labeled as "17" on the back of the cluster. There's a screw just above airbag light bulb. Just screw a wire there, and somehow wedge it to the bottom terminal of the lightbulb. Now the airbag light will go on if there's ever something wrong w/ the airbag system.

I just figured this out a few hours ago; I'll take a picture and post.

As for the airbag light being on, which component keeps memory that there's something wrong with the airbag system?? I'm thinking that it's the control module. If I'm right, then I have 2 options for turning off the damn light:

1. take it to the dealer and pay over $100

2. replace my module with another one (I can get another module for $20).
Old 09-27-2008, 10:07 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

When my alternator went bad it threw an airbag code saying something about improper voltage. My obd-II scanner wouldnt read the code so I went to the dealer and they scanned it and erased it for free.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:10 AM

Here's the photo I promised.

Attachment 578
(wire to get the airbag light to work on an RD2 cluster when connected to an RD1)
Old 01-06-2009, 07:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

My airbag light goes on for a day or two a few times a year.

other than that, I've never heard of any problems from swapping gauge clusters.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:12 AM

Actually, Redz, I had been wondering if others had the same problem too. It would seem to me that anyone putting in an RD2 cluster in their RD1's, would lose the airbag light.

The problem was that the right connector in the car (where the cluster plugs into) is missing a pin on the RD1. When I traced the circuit at the back of my RD2 cluster, I found that the bottom terminal where the airbag light screws into, is actually mapped to that missing connector pin in my RD1 tib.

That wire that I connected, which you see in the pic, routes the bottom terminal of the airbag lightbulb to the proper pin connector of my RD1.

Maybe others who put in an RD2 cluster into their RD1 haven't noticed that the A/B light didn't work after the swap because they don't care about the airbag light, or removed the airbag altogether, or just never noticed ...??? This would mean that those who did the RD2 cluster swap, might even have the A/B light on (possibly with inoperative airbags), but don't know it because it won't light up.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:36 AM

I took my cluster out to put in new gauge faces and my air bag light is on also.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 PM

Yeap. Happened to me as well, although I can't remember if I turned the ignition to either the "on" position, or actual "start". Supposedly, that's how to trigger that damn airbag light: turn the engine on/start with the gauge cluster disconnected from the car. Did you do that?

Nonetheless, if you want to keep your airbags operative, your options are: get dealer to reset it (some people here got it reset for really cheap or free), or get the control module from a junkyard and replace yours with it. Mine cost $20 at a junkyard.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Mine is on for the same reasons. Actually, I think I drove for a while without the guage cluster in there... (I don't remember for sure. If it starts without the cluster, then I drove it)

Mine's been on for over 2 years, I couldn't care less. I'll take the bulb out when I put in my gauge faces.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

The airbag light comes on and stays on anytime you disconnect any part of the airbag system without first disconnecting the battery... even if you don't turn the car on. This is why you need to disconnect your battery anytime you remove your gauge cluster, steering wheel or airbag equipped seats.