Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Air-ram/65mm Tb Install Afternotes

Old 05-14-2006, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, did the install today. Air-Ram, 65MM TB, and a fuel filter while I was at it. Fuel filter was definately more annoying. Ran into a few annoying complications, but all is good at the moment. Haven't had a chance to really test the car, but figured I'd post up my opinion on how things went.

INSTALL
Really wasn't too bad. Didn't take Redz' advice, so my hands got owned with cuts, nicks, bruises, welts, and everything else. lmao.gif I had slight problems with the accelerator cables, as the Air-Ram was damaged in shipping, so the bracket on the Air-Ram was kinked in a wierd way, so that put a little bit more time bending it and widening the hole back out. As long as you think the install through, its not all that difficult. I had some extra hoses laying around, so I didn't have to run to Autozone. I ended up venting the line to the IM PVC line at the moment, as I believe that only comes on during load, and hooked up the other as normal. If I see too much pollution, I will of course hook it up. The area behind the IM does get rather crowded with the lines for the Idle Air Bypass, another vacuum hose, and blocking a nipple back there as well. Basically, if you take your time, make sure you hook everything back up, and extend the hoses properly, its not that difficult.

RESULTS
Rather nice. I only had time for one solid second gear pull as it was starting to rain, but it got to 60MPH a heck of a lot faster than it did before. As stated on KSpec, the gains are hard around 4000RPM. That little flat spot that annoyed me around 3500-4000, pfft, I'm through it so fast the flat horsepower in that area doesn't bother me that much, if it is still flat. The TB works fine. My low end is the same as it ever has been. I can still waddle around town in 5th gear @ 1600RPM and still get a pinch of power if I need it. I'll update with a quarter mile pull on a straight stretch near my house to see how much my MPH went up (sign to sign is exactly quarter mile, my own private testing track in rural Virginia).
Old 05-14-2006, 03:34 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Cool, look forward to hearing the full results.

Dunno if this means anything, but on my 1.8L tib, the gains felt better (from the airram and 65mm TB) than with my new 2.0. I always thought that to be rather interesting.

Anyway, its good to have another airram owner on the site. cool.gif
Old 05-14-2006, 03:44 PM

Glad everything went okay. Im going to get an airram soon so its good to actually see the results it gives.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:47 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about in 2nd gear, the flat spot.
After installing my airram/bbtb 2nd gear pulls soo much harder.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:47 PM

when i get the money (summer smile.gif ) i'll be buying mine and a tb. thanks for the results
Old 05-14-2006, 07:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

1.8l ECU took care of the flatspot for me.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:35 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

OMG everyone shoudl have one of these. Car runs soooo much smoother. and it sounds sooooo nice at full throttle!!! especially under a bridge. all you 5speeds out there i'm jealous.

thing is amazing. the old stock IM is definitely looking like bread. i mean it's got weld marks and it's so rough on the inside. no wonder you lose airflow like shIIZZ. with the airram on, the car has less trouble going fast. almost like it doesn't take much to pick up speed anymore.

funny you say you lost low end hamhead, do you mean 1st gear - 3rd gear? because i gained so much low end and lost high end. maybe it's my setup but 1st gear through 3rd is amazing for me in my auto...

BY FAR best mod i have in my car... next to the CAI.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:36 PM

Ye, figure its some ECU retarding timing issue, or something lame like that. No idea why its there, its not fueling as even cars with piggybacks still have that flatspot. Curious if an MSD unit or SMT-6 (Has ability to tune timing me thinks) gets rid of it.

Naw HKC, I lost no low-end, as in 1000-3000RPM, as you would expect with a larger diameter TB/IM, especially with the openings being about what, 25% bigger than stock or so? And the plenum is larger as well.