Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Aftermarket Exhaust, Stock Headers?

Old 02-03-2005, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

EDIT: Nevermind... I don't see how they get those gains. I'm not familiar with the B16 or any of the series of Honda motors and how they work. How they get gains "everywhere" is beyond me. Remind me not to buy that magazine as they are on crack. tongue.gif

Running a dump pipe and thats it with a street turbo spells disaster however... this I know. Boost spikes, overboost, etc. are just a few of the problems you will encounter. I ran with open exhaust manifold to the shop to get my 3inch mandrel done. Boost spiked to 17PSI on me @ 3200RPM. If I had been running at higher RPM I would've detonated the hell outta the GSX as I was running 15PSI daily at the time.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Enough off topic.

Why am I having to say that all the time now? Warnings, from now on.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:19 PM

we have veered enough... ok, so a dump pipe on a TURBO engine is bad.. bit on a N/A is not.. they did say "near stock" on the honda.. they did not mention Turbo...

Ok, that done... A larger exhaust will also make your car loud.. probably louder than allowed by the law as the exhaust pulses will have a chance to reverberate down the pipe... I personally would stick with a 2.5 inch mandrel bent system.. not only for performance, but for sound, ease of installation, and room under the car. I would think that anything larger and it might start getting tight under there.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:43 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine)</div><div class='quotemain'>we have veered enough... ok, so a dump pipe on a TURBO engine is bad.. bit on a N/A is not.. they did say "near stock" on the honda.. they did not mention Turbo...

Ok, that done... A larger exhaust will also make your car loud.. probably louder than allowed by the law as the exhaust pulses will have a chance to reverberate down the pipe... I personally would stick with a 2.5 inch mandrel bent system.. not only for performance, but for sound, ease of installation, and room under the car. I would think that anything larger and it might start getting tight under there.</div>

ok so should i get a glass pack with that or a resonator? which would rob me less of power? does everyone agree that magnaflow is the bestchoice for mufflers? any body got a different favorite? (im looking for medium loud and very deep)
Old 02-03-2005, 09:28 PM

Check up your local laws and see what Db is legal in your area, and talk to your import buddies to see how the cops react to exhaust. Mine is medium loud with a custom 2.5inch exhaust. If your turboing the car, you really won't need the glasspack since the turbo quiets the tone down considerably. My GSX's wastegate is louder than the exhaust.

For a high quality muffler, depends on what you want. I got a straight thru, non-perforated muffler on the Tib simply for performance. Luckily it still sounds extremely deep and throaty. Its not loud, but if I hit the throttle next to someone, I can make their interior panels vibrate. tongue.gif I don't know what brand I have though...

Magnaflow make very deep-sounding mufflers. I highly recommend them, mucho praise for them as I have them on the 'Vette and GSX. High quality, no problems.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:33 PM

i went to their website and they have nice mufflers but they are all like almost 200 bucks! ouch...i can do it but damn, id rather give up the brandname to save some dough... as long as i keep the sound and the performance, straight thru is obvious whats the diff between perforated and non? besides that its perforated or not...
Old 02-03-2005, 09:42 PM

Perforated means it has little holes in it, reverberates sound or something along those lines without putting restrictions in the muffler. Never understood the things.

A high quality muffler is going to cost between $120-$200. You get a crappy one, it will probably sound crappy. Pepboys muffler equals = BREEEEEE sound. Magnaflow sounds a lot like the Apexi, except a little more throaty when its revved.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:48 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead)</div><div class='quotemain'>Perforated means it has little holes in it, reverberates sound or something along those lines without putting restrictions in the muffler. Never understood the things.

A high quality muffler is going to cost between $120-$200. You get a crappy one, it will probably sound crappy. Pepboys muffler equals = BREEEEEE sound. Magnaflow sounds a lot like the Apexi, except a little more throaty when its revved.</div>

yah ima do it right so i sound good, ill bite the bullet, or maybe ill take a quick ol peeky at good ol' ebay fer a magnaflow muffler...they are universal right?OH BTW perforated=gooder sound?(butchered english language on purpose for effect, lol)
Old 02-03-2005, 10:20 PM

Mine is non-perforated and I love it to death. Generally perforated cores are better. Only thing I don't like about mine is its so straight thru its get all brownish inside instead of blackish from moisture sometimes. Sound is well worth it though.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:08 AM

the worst you can get in the way of a restrictive muffler (besides stock of course) is a louvered core where the louvers are punched INTO the pipe... you can tell my looking down the pipe and you can see all these little "scoops" into the exhaust flow... those scoops, while doing a decent job at killing the sound, also kill the echaust flow.. if the pipe was a 2.5 you might be down to a 2 if you consider how much space the scoops, or louvers, take up.