Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

AEM Bypass valve installation

Old 11-04-2004, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Whats Your SPEED.....?

Hey, folks.

Per my <span style="color:red">previous post</span> in the <span style="color:red">Newbie Bin</span>, I just recently installed my AEM CAI. Didn't do the bypass valve at the time, since I didn't have an appropriate cutting device. I was planning on doing that soon, though, but just came across something that I wanted to run by you guys. If you look at the <span style="color:red">picture</span> on <span style="color:red">eBay</span> of the vehicle listed in <span style="color:red">this article</span>, the bypass valve seems to be installed at the very top of the tube.

Can this be done in lieu of cutting the tube? The instructions included in the box very clearly state that the best place for it is like half-way down the straight tube through the engine bay. Has anyone else tried it that way? Any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks,
Shawn.

Old 11-04-2004, 03:01 PM

Default Re: HEADLIGHT warning signal?

How it shows in that picture is the correct way to install it. You shouldn;t cut your intake. Some AEM intakes are in two pieces and they mean that you would put the bypass between the two pieces in the "middle" of the bay. On ours since it is one piece you really cant do that so this is the best place to put it. Here is my car with the baypass installed:

If you have any other questions hit me up on IM and I'll try to help ya out.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:06 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Re: I can't access to this site from my home computer.

hey shawn. i have the same exact AEM. if yours 3inch? sounds good eh?

i have a few questions for you. is yours loud or do you have to rev the throttle to get a sweet sound? i have to rev mine, or push it really hard to hear it.

i did exactly what you did with the bypass valve. i had the very same questions about it as well. apparently, it is not possible for the bypass valve to connect properly from the pipe furtherward unless you got a 2.5 inch (or 2 inch, one of those) bypass valve along with the same exact width CAI.

i have a 3inch, so i have to cut mine. if you have a 3inch, you can take a hacksaw, or a manual saw with small blades. it will cut through aluminum. be sure top buffer the edges when you're done to prevent debris from getting sucked inside. you can buy a drill bit attachment buffer at home depot. if not, than you can use sand paper but that would take very long and the results are not as effective.

*EDIT* UltratTibby, how did you do that? is youre a 3inch CAI? please... do tell! 8O
Old 11-04-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Whats Your SPEED.....?

Yeah its the 3 inch CAI. I then bought the 3 inch bypass valve. The CAI came with a step down but I didn't feel the need to use that. It was hard to get the bypass to sit correctly on the CAI but after messing with it (moving it in and out of the tube until it was in a good position) for a few minutes it all works great!

You just need to be careful on the position of the main elbow. Mine was set a little too high so the bypass filter got scraped by the hood. After twisting the elbow a few times moving the whole assembly down it no longer rubbed.

Sound wise I didn't really notice any difference. Then again I already had headers, high flow cat, catback, and an injen intake before I swapped over to the AEM.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:38 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Default Re: exhaust/header question

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UltraTibby)</div><div class='quotemain'>How it shows in that picture is the correct way to install it. You shouldn;t cut your intake. Some AEM intakes are in two pieces and they mean that you would put the bypass between the two pieces in the "middle" of the bay. On ours since it is one piece you really cant do that so this is the best place to put it. Here is my car with the baypass installed:

If you have any other questions hit me up on IM and I'll try to help ya out.</div>

Actually, that is not true. The instructions say cutting may be necessary for proper installation. Where you have it your hood liner will eventually rub a whole through the foam filter. That's why I had to buy a new one. Also, when mine was installed there it seemed to constantly allow air through, maybe it had something to do with the location, I don't know.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:39 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Re: Autocross

..or the positioning of the bypass valve. maybe it would need to be upright. i think cutting it is the best way to go... i dunno though. i still have yet to put mine in.

UltraTibby, why did you swap over from injen to AEM?
Old 11-04-2004, 05:01 PM

Default Re: I can't access to this site from my home computer.

I put mine where they suggested and I have had no problems.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Yet more newbie upgrade questions

Cause the Injen is not a true cold air intake. There was a definate power increase between the Injen and the AEM.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: AEM Bypass valve installation

Ugh, screw the Bypass Valve.

Just avoid puddles and enjoy the extra HP.

There was a long discussion about this on HA.com a LONG time ago, about how you should NOT connect it directly to the MAF. I don't remember the reasoning, but you should search for it and check it out.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:14 PM

Default Re: AEM Bypass valve installation

The lost HP is negligable. If you have seen how easily the roads flood in Florida you would understand why I need it.