Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Ac Not Working...and It's Hot

Old 06-18-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 95 Elantra 1.8L with 2 different problems...prolly not related, but here goes:

1. The AC is not working. It's just blowing hot air. I pressure tested the line and it's solid. The r-134a is at a good level. It just seems like no power is getting to the receiver. When I press the AC button on the dash, the RPMs do the usual slight drop and the button lights up. I'm not sure if the AC clutch is actually engaging though. I also disconnected the plug from the receiver and looped it with a spare wire (which should have forced the AC to stay on), but nothing happened and the pressure gauge I had on the "low" side never changed. Thoughts?

2. Now, the next issue: the switch for the settings of the vents (blow from windshield, vents & floor, floor, vents only) -the center knob between fan speed and cold/hot --isn't working either! It appears to be stuck blowing from the windshield. This switch worked a couple of weeks ago, but now it does nothing. I have no idea where to begin with this one.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:53 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

have you taken your dash off at all recently?

the wire that goes from the temperature gauge to the "door" may not be hooked up. the wire goes to some yellow thing w/ a nipple at the end of it for the wire, and is stuck in the hot position. that happened to me and i didn't realize it til after i had my AC recharged.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:03 PM

Nope, haven't removed the dash....ever! The switch just up & died. dead1.gif
Old 06-18-2005, 07:22 PM

just a silly question... checked the belt to the air conditioner pump?
Old 06-18-2005, 07:58 PM

Yep, just replaced it. And I think the Ac clutch is engaging. The RPMs drop slightly when I push the AC button. It's like no power is getting to the receiver. The fuses under the hood are good. How do i check the relay to see if it's good/bad?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:14 PM

The vent selection switch is moved with vacuum; check if you have a vacuum leak somewhere. The actual vauum hose plugs into the intake manifold, on the back of it, passenger side, IIRC.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:01 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Check the heater cable clip to make sure that it is "supposed" to be blowing cold air, if you have the A/C on with the temperature on hot you're not going to get cool air.
Below by the gas pedal you can see an offwhite triangular shaped clip thing (its sorta hard to describe, heh) that pivots on the bottom left. It should be pushed all the way up for cold air. This IS the normal position, but possibly something is blocking it holding it down (giving u hot air)
just a thought.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Make sure your vent is selected to the correct area. You want it to suck in air from OUTSIDE the car till it cools off then switch to recirc.

What ya b****in bout? It ain't hot yet!

LOL

I can help ya look at it if you want.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:21 PM

I know it aint hot yet. I was down in El Paso this weekend and at 102, I was toasting in the car! LOL
Old 06-27-2005, 06:17 PM

I'll add to this thread instead of starting another.

My AC is dead too. Was working, and then one day it did nothing but blow hot air.

All fuses good, buttons fine. I hit the AC button and there is a drop in RPMs and the fans come on. But I don't think the clutch is working. The clutch is the piece in the center of the compressor pulley, right? With the car off I can spin it by hand, but when I turn on the AC it doesn't spin, so I'm guessing it's dead. That RPM drop must be just from the fans coming on.

Do I simply need a new compressor? And has anyone replaced this themselves? I'm guessing installing a new one would mean I have to discharge the lines, but it doesn't look like it would be too hard to replace.

And it may not be higher than the 90s yet, but in VA it's the humidity that gets ya. There's nothing worse than air you almost have to wade through.