Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

97 Fx Body Parts Swap W/ 2001 Tib

Old 04-18-2005, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

It looks like a major job to me. I think you may be thinking that it would be mostly a case of unbolting parts and bolting them on the new car but that is not the case at all. The rear quarter panels are part of the unibody. They can not be unbolted. They would have to be cut off and rewelded to the new car. Along with all the substructure that houses the lights, etc. Most likely you would be cutting the whole back end off your car and welding it onto the new car so that they match up perfectly. Can probably be done but count on spending a lot of money to do it properly.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:37 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^ I agreewith rallyman. It would probabally be cheaper to send both cars into the bodyshop and have them cut the rear clip off the 97 and put it on the 01. It wont be cheap though (all interior items have to be taken out, the clip cut off both cars, clip welded on, sanded, primed, painted.)

I doubt it would be too cheap, but it can be done. Ask around at a couple of different bodyshops how much they would charge to cut a rear clip off one car and weld it on the other.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:47 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rallyman @ Apr 18 2005, 01:19 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>The rear quarter panels are part of the unibody. They can not be unbolted. They would have to be cut off and rewelded to the new car.</div>
wasn't aware of that.

i don't think modifying the tail light housing will be that big of a deal, and i'm pretty sure you can swap the hatches and bumpers easily.

should probably find out more about those quarter panels before you go unbolting stuff, that puts quite a wrench in your plans.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:50 AM

Vehicle: 2001 tiburon/2000 tiburon

I defently wouldnt do it...I think doign the front is not a probelm I have sceen 5 or 6 korean cars swapped in the front but not rear..Chris

Oh yeh i have a rear and tailights.. let me know Chris
Old 04-18-2005, 02:21 PM

OK, i think the project is called off. i dont have the funds to carry it out or the need to. I found another car and although i dont like it very much, it could save me money and be less of a money pit.
i should start parting the car this week