Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

3a Racing Hi Flow Mufflers

Old 04-19-2005, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I made a second trip to Pep Boys with my brother and although I'm short on money, I came across a few of the 3A Performance mufflers...there were a couple that were being sold for around $50, and another sold around $100 or so. Since I do not have the money for a bolt-on/catback exhaust yet, yet I still want that deep sound, do you think buying one of these would be worth it? Also, mufflers increase horsepower by a margin, don't they?
Old 04-19-2005, 07:38 PM

Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it, don't do it................................

Seriously, that's a classic ricer move right there. Your car will sound like a rice rocket, and everyone will point and laugh at you. Also, you MIGHT get 1 hp from the muffler, but I seriously doubt it. Waste of money.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:39 PM

If I were you, I'd be patient and save up for a catback.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:47 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CyberShark @ Apr 20 2005, 01:39 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>If I were you, I'd be patient and save up for a catback.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>
ok honestly... the one 3a racing muffler i have actually sounded ok with a full catback... i went through a couple to give me a deeper tone... and thats the one i chose... it worked ok..... but if u just slap on muffler its pretty ricey
Old 04-19-2005, 10:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Most definately save the few hundred for the piping to go with. A muffler will give you most of the deep tone you are looking for, but generally the larger the exhaust piping the deeper the tone as well.

3a is a semi-decent brand. Better than the average Pepboys muffler. lol.gif
Old 04-20-2005, 01:14 PM

hamhead, are you describing the deep tone as installed onto the regular stock piping, or rather a bolt on or catback install?

Also have any of you ever slapped on one of these mufflers to your stock piping, or is this just an effect I'm assumed to have? I'm content with the stock muffler, which by all means doesn't sound ricey, however I'm just looking for that temporarydeep growl that I can get from a muffler..
Old 04-20-2005, 01:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The stock piping is rather small (1.75inch I believe) which is where the gains from an exhaust come from. Another added effect of the piping is the gas has more room to resonate, creating a deeper/louder tone.

I'm sure some members here have done just a muffler.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:43 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

yes, I have installed just a muffler with the stock piping, not to be ricey but because while installing my catback we ran into problem (it was too short) so I had to leave the new MBRP muffler on and the stock piping + cat were still on (so I could drive to shop for some x-tra piping). They weren't open till the next day and OMFG, my car sounded like crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No matter what gear I was in and no matter how much gas I gave the muffler buzzed like hell and the sound resonated all through frickin town. I hated it!!!!! So much that I said screw the muffler shop that isn't open today and me and some friends wen't dumpster diving (in the shop's pile of scrap metal) behind the shop and found a 6 inch long 2.25in. piece of ss tubing that I needed. Problem solved......for FREE!!! Woo hoo.

The moral: DOOOOOOOOOOOON'T buy a muffler and slap it on by itself. I would rather have 10,000 NOS stickers on the outside of my car.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:49 PM

I completely agree with you. If I do decide on buying one of these, I'm looking into one that's only a mere $50 so it's not a bad price for a muffler.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:55 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

agree w/ me? huh? Dude, don't buy that muffler unless you plan to go to a muffler shop and have them make a custom mandrel bend stainless steel cat-back for you. THEN you could install the 3a muffler.

If you're saving for a cat-back then don't buy that PepBoys muffler because cat-backs come WITH mufflers. At least every one I've seen has.

-Patrick

patience is a virtue, especially when tuning cars.