Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

2001 Tiburon Vibration/noise, Please Help!

Old 08-01-2008, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

wheel bearing: jack up the car on one corner, grab the top & bottom of the tire and see if you can shake it. If it moves appreciably (>1/4") you may have a problem wheel bearing. If you can really get the wheel moving, get it to a mechanic SOON. The motion you are looking for is in/out on the top/bottom of the wheel, not side/side like someone is steering the wheel.

HTH
Old 08-01-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kristina @ Jul 31 2008, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>yea def dont do the dealership they over charge way to much. i had to get the wheel bearing fixed and an o2 sensor. came to $463</div>
shoulda came to me.... jerk. haha

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stocker @ Aug 1 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>wheel bearing: jack up the car on one corner, grab the top & bottom of the tire and see if you can shake it. If it moves appreciably (>1/4") you may have a problem wheel bearing. If you can really get the wheel moving, get it to a mechanic SOON. The motion you are looking for is in/out on the top/bottom of the wheel, not side/side like someone is steering the wheel.

HTH</div>
you are half right here. there are 2 different ways a wheel bearing can be bad. the first is the movement in it. the 2nd is roughness. to check for that, have the car jacked up, put your hand on the coil spring and spin the wheel with your other hand. if you can feel vibration through the spring, you have a bad bearing. when its like this you get the humming sound while driving down the road.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

LOL yeah that too. I was focused on an ex-coworker of mine whose wheels were prolly about to fall off his 3000GT... 1-2" of \ / play on the wheels! The bearings fell apart as he took one side out. sad.gif