Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

2001 Tiburon Vibration/noise, Please Help!

Old 06-20-2008, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 Tiburon and am experiencing a problem that my mechanic can't seem to figure out...

At 3000 RPM (and accelerating), there is a "muscle car noise" and vibration - I feel it in the gas pedal too. It goes away as soon as I've passed 3300-ish, but whenever I'm on the freeway, 3000 rpm is pretty much where my cruising speed is so I spend a lot of time with it vibrating and making noise.

The transmission is fairly smooth and the gears don't grind or slip. There's a bit of shift shock, especially when cold, but not enough to make me think it's a transmission issue.

Can anyone please give me some ideas on what could be wrong so I can get it fixed? The car also feels a little heavy and with less kick, which makes me think it could be a leak?

Please help! It is making the car miserable to drive and I love my Tiburon so I want to enjoy driving it again...

Thank you!
Old 06-20-2008, 05:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Auto or Stick

Bone stock?

Have you checked your exaust manifold for a crack, that would explain the louder noise and feeling a little heavy from loss of power... can you describe the sound a little more?

When was the last time you changed/checked:
Wires, spark plugs, PCV valve ?

looking under the hood when you rev the engine does it move quite a bit?
Old 06-20-2008, 05:15 PM

Thanks for responding!

It's an automatic.

There was an open case for the exhaust manifold - mine was indeed cracked and the dealer replaced it for me. The issues got a little better after that for about a second, and then got worse... Could it have broken again??

I just changed the spark plugs, timing belt and power steering belt. I don't know what the PCV valve is...?

The engine does move quite a bit when I rev it, but I don't think it's touching anything.

Describing the sound... That's a hard one, but it sounds like almost like a tricked out small car would if that makes sense. A loud, vibrating exhaust type noise - except coming from the front. Or like the sound a Harley makes, but not nearly as loud (thankfully...)

Someone told me it could be the catalytic converter. Does that sound reasonable?

Thank you again!!

Old 06-20-2008, 05:59 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

like a cracking, snapping, popping sound? maybe you have a leak in your exhaust, check where the manifold and cat connect to the rest of the exhaust.

PCV valve is on the top valve cover oposite of the oil cap, and connects from the valve cover the the throttle body, you just screw it out and replace it (less the 5 at the auto parts store. It vents gasses from your valve cover.

I never heard of a cat going but it could maybe...but if they did the manifold recall on yours then you should have got all new stuff.

Are you getting a CEL?
Old 06-20-2008, 06:08 PM

It sounds almost like when you'd put a piece of paper in the wheel of your bike as a kid... know what I mean?? I can feel the vibration in the gas pedal, so that's concerning me too...

I don't know what I CEL is either...? I'm sorry, but this is my first Tiburon and I've had it for over 4 years without any issues, so I'm not too tibby savvy.

I'm taking it to the mechanic tomorrow - I just want to give him some guidance as to where to look because he hasn't found anything wrong with it so far either.

The mileage is low too - just under 79,000.

I would have to look at the repair slip from the dealer to see what they did, but I think they did the cover and a mounting. It just seems odd if it would bust again so quickly - it hasn't even been 3 months since they fixed it.

Again, thank you so much... I'm getting desperate to fix it. At the least amount of $ of course... so any guidance for the mech will help!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:24 AM

im having the same problem and i cant figure it out. i can feel it vibrating in the gas pedal and when i let go of the gas the sound vibration gets lighter but is still present. also it feels as though my tibby has a hard time shifting. its an automatic. but i get the vibration really bad when im accelerating and the car needs to shift but it delays the shift time for some reason. im terrible at explaining but i have no idea whats wrong with it. im not car problem savy i just came on to see if someone knew what it was.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:34 AM

I would suggest posting up a video of your problem if you have a camera with video taking features, it would help people get what your problem is, plus I like videos.

CEL, is short for CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.

Just so you know, people use it alot on here.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:19 PM

i got my car checked out and the noise was coming from the wheel bearing. all fixed and no more noise smile.gif
Old 07-31-2008, 07:22 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

right, most likely the axle. dealerships suck, never go to them hehe.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:46 PM

yea def dont do the dealership they over charge way to much. i had to get the wheel bearing fixed and an o2 sensor. came to $463