Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

1st Gear Problems

Old 12-02-2006, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys..so ive got this problem with my first gear. Basicly the Revs go up, while the acceleration isnt going nowhere..

It wasnt like this before i put my 58mm Throtle Body last week. It used to go pretty hard in first gear, but now it just doesnt go as hard, then i shift to second it goes hard again. Could that be because it now gets more air and the air-fuel mixture isnt as good as it used to be and when the revs go up the fuel increases and hence the perfomance comes back?

I was thinking my clutch could be slipping thats why i lose the acceleration with first gear, but if that was the case, going up the hill in 3rd gear would do the same thing (car slowing down, revs going up)..

Any other ideas?=/

Yesterday it was raining and my front yard has this pretty slippery concrete, so it doesnt take much to spin the wheels. So i reved it up a bit and floored the accelerator, revs went up the car didnt seem to be moving and on the top end it made a squeeking tire sound like it only started spinning then. This is why i think its my clutch but i dont seem to have that 3rd gear uphill problem, any other ways to test your clutch?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:48 PM

How old is your clutch. The stock Tib clutch is pretty weak.. but if not abused will hold up for many many miles (kilometers) without needing to be replaced. Once the power goes up though, the lifespan goes down.

Can you smell any burnt carbon when this happens?
Old 12-02-2006, 08:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Clutch.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:31 PM

Hmm..can remember smelling something really bad, but when i floor it hard i can sometimes smell it..

The car has 107xxx kms on, i bought it with 65,000kms on it and i havent replaced clutch myself, and i dont think it was replaced b4 so it should be the clutch..=/

Any other methods to test it?=/
Old 12-02-2006, 08:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Flooring 1st gear / clutch dumping puts the most strain on the transmission, hence it will probably slip there before it slips elsehere.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:06 PM

Yeah and also when i push the clutch in and go to release it it only starts gripping when is out by 2/3 when it used to grip a lot earlier..so i think it would be the clutch, could it be the syncros in the gearbox?=/
Old 12-02-2006, 09:19 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD Tiburon

Synchros would cause your gearbox to crash under load ie. Grind and become difficult to engage. It's your clutch
Old 12-02-2006, 10:11 PM

Yeah i think it will be the clutch..but why dont i get that 3rd gear uphill problem?

Whats a good clutch? I mean, what clamping pressure should i look for, im not going turbo at any time soon, so i dont think i need a very big one, what do you guys think?
Old 12-02-2006, 10:43 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD Tiburon

1st Gear is harder on your clutch than 3rd due to it's larger torque multiplication. It's only just begining to fail and slip.

Get a Exedy clutch.....

PSC do a stage 1 clutch installed for $646 ($396 Supply), I'd go this route if you drive your car hard. The cheapest route would be getting an OEM replacement, but won't last like the Exedy.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:55 PM

Well my friend said he knows the guy who distributes the Exedy clutches in australia and one of his friends bought stage 3 for 260$ lol laugh.gif so if i get that same deal ill get stage 3..or i dont need stage 3?