Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

1.8l Cam Sounds

Old 03-22-2006, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was browsing the forums and it seems that when an i/h/e setup is combined with the 1.8l cam that the exhaust becomes a lot more "poppy". Is this true? How else will this cam change the sound? Others have said that the cam will make both the intake and exhaust sound better. Work better too!
Old 03-22-2006, 05:54 PM

I am still running stock exhaust.. so I cannot comment on "poppy" but I can say that the 1.8 cam made the intake part of my car sound much deeper and more "growly" at idle and part throttle.

It is just a matter of physics. The valves are open slightly longer and get some reverbation in the intake and exhaust. You also get more power.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:09 PM

I knew about the intake already, but I'm still curious about how it may affect the sound of the exhaust. My motoria pops a lot now, because it's a straight thru of course, but I heard the 1.8l cam just makes the exhaust a lot more poppy.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:11 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

It may be a bit more poppy, cause it has longer duration, but I don't think it will be too noticeable increasment (in poppyness).
Old 04-03-2006, 05:00 PM

I had the 1.8 cam, I didnt notice a difference in sound what so ever.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:52 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

like the pop! it's sexay, but you need a 5-speed to hear it and a near straight through exhaust with a straight through rocket muffler to hear it. i had an apexi replica an d you could hear it pop with stock setup on an automatic.

then when you revved it in neutral you could hear the pop. i am going to install the 1.8 cam too but i wish i had a manual to hear it. right now i'm with a magnaflow dual tip exhaust, it almost gets rid of the popping but yo can still hear the valves open/close at times.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:16 PM

not to go off topic but on my buddies 240sx hes gotta 3" piping with no resonator and catco high flow cat + hot shot headers and an rs-r catback exhaust and so on, but you should hear the "poppyness" when he revs up its real "poppy" lol the word poppy cracks me up. lmao.gif
Old 05-22-2006, 10:00 PM

I love the pop too! Some people hate it. That's not true though HKC, in my auto tibby with R-Side Headers, Motoria catback, even when I let off the gas after driving moderately I will hear my exhaust pop. It's most prominent after I floor it and then let off the gas though.

When I rev it in neutral it gets really poppy. Sounds really aggressive though. I doubt it'd be a noticeable change though between how it already sounds. Sometimes my car sounds turbo it pops so much.. kind of like the stock SRT-4 exhaust.. that thing pops like a mother!
Old 05-22-2006, 10:26 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

yeah i had a friend with a 10 second civic. he'd blast through to drop his sister off at school, letting off the gas in gear and that sh*t would crack so much it would hurt your ears. wonder how he never got pulled over for it. maybe because it was too early in the morning or something which doesn't make sense. of course the civic got roughed up and stolen in the end... poor guy that car sounded beautiful boosted.

yeah same thing happens to me bro, but what i meant was if you have a 5-speed and you let off the gas pedal while in gear you would hear it like crazy rather than auto dropping to 1000 rpm's when you let off the gas. like mad said, it's a matter of physics, longer duration. i have a 1.8L cam sitting in my damn trunk rusting. if you buy one, buy it from Kspec.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:42 PM

Yeah. Mine's in my trunk too.

1.8l cam apparently makes a HUGE difference though.

Since your motor is already pretty tuned up, I bet you'd feel a lot of gains from it.

I might slap on a BBTB/Airram before the camshaft though. I bet high-end with those mods is like popping VTEC.