Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.
View Poll Results: Is your tib an automatic or manual transmission?
Automatic
30.12%
Manual
69.88%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Is Your Tib An Automatic Or Manual Transmission?

Old 05-01-2005, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently I was misinterpretted on my last post in here. What I meant, was that when you're commuting 70 miles a day getting 17 mpg in my OLD THUNDERBIRD...>NOT THE TIBURON...and I went looking for a car that got better gas mileage, I wasn't all that concerned about the transmission. I was looking to stop filling up my tank 3 times a week on a 20 gallon tank. My Tib needs to be filled once with a smaller tank in comparison to 3 times. That's all I was saying is that when I was looking for a car, I was looking for something I could afford to buy that would get better gas mileage because I commute every day. Nothing to do with saying autos get better mileage or manuals getting better mileage...my fault for being too vague...
Old 05-01-2005, 12:06 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Do you have different driver licence for AUTO tranny and MANUAL in US?
Old 05-01-2005, 12:22 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Nope, same liscense. B)

Dunno why you guys think heavy traffic is all that bad with a manual, the Tib and I handled NYC traffic @ 5 in the afternoon with no real problems. Its not like the clutch or shifting is really a pain to do. If we were talking something with a stronger clutch and crazier gearbox, then yes, I could see that being a problem.

Maybe its because I don't live in a city and don't have to drive it in everyday.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:24 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

*bump.
let's get more people to participate in the poll!

in my defense (why my tib's auto), i drove all the way from wisconsin to virginia to get a 5speed eclipse gsx, but when i got there the bastard sold it. the only other 'sporty' car he had in my price range was the tib. i was not spending $100 in gas, road tripping halfway across country, and coming hope empty handed. at that time i had never even heard of a tib anyway, and it was just so beautiful i had to take it home laugh.gif
Old 05-09-2005, 07:06 AM

Holy cow...I can't believe what has happened here. Why is everyone so against autos anyhow? What's the big deal? Who cares if someone else on here drives an auto vs a manual. There are some people who refuse to buy an auto, and that's fine. But you don't have to knock on the auto drivers for it. It's just a freggin' transmission. rolleyes.gif
Personally I could care less whether my tib was an auto or a manual....it's a nice cheap car. Which has been paid off for me for quite some time now.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:05 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

^^^
It shouldn't matter, but for a site that tries to emphasize PERFOMANCE in all aspects, Automatics just don't do it.

Yes, it's still the same car, but ask Peter, after the drive to the Sandia Crest during the BBQ and back down, he hated his auto. Same thing at the dragstrip.

No one should DOG anyone for having one, but yeah, I sorta cringe when I see that auto selector in there.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:26 PM

Especially since its a Hyundai auto, we have to dog it. Drove a Sante Fe once... eek. I think it was slipping @ 22k miles. lol.gif

Now, if more Tibs were faster (11 second cars) then I'm sure we would see some people running aggressively geared, high-stall transmissions which would put the power to the ground better than a person with a manual in the driver's seat could. But as the Tib hasn't hit that stage yet, manual is the way to go.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:38 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

what are the time differences and 0-60 differences between a stock auto and a stock manual tib?
they can't be THAT far apart.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:58 PM

I ran a flat 16 in the quarter with a manual... I've never heard of any autos in the 16 second range with an automatic. Everyone who has ran below 16.5 stock I know has had a manual.

Without proper building of the auto tranny, its hard to launch one as well as a manual. It has longer gearing and robs more power from the wheels. Automatics weigh more. There a zillion reasons why they suck.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:04 PM

i just got my tib like two weeks ago....it wasnt really my choice for an auto one day my mom calls up and says i bought you a 98 tiburon (which i have to pay her back :angry: lol) but neways i love it but now im second guessing even adding mods to it now since reading this thread aahh idk....yea im 16 im goin for my road test in like a week wish me luck lol but yea if it was my choice i would prolly go for a manual.. smile.gif