Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Xtd Stage 3 Clutch & Flywheel

Old 10-24-2008 | 04:54 AM

QUOTE (yellowlightning @ Oct 23 2008, 09:37 PM)
tuscani- i got the street disc "stage 1" and so far hasnt performed to anything everyone elses has, i had a local shop install it and didnt find it needed to machine the flywheel after 86k miles apparently mine was perfect condition... NOT... its just the OEM flywheel since its the first time any clutch work has ever been done on the car

for break in, i gave it 500 miles of granny shifting before i actually tested anything at all and it at first gripped, but i noticed the 2nd day i had the car i had shifting into 2nd and it felt like i was at like 500 rpms trying to hammer the gas when i was at 2k barely letting go of the clutch

im pretty sure im not making anywhere near the 202 ft.lbs of torque either to be overpowering the clutch

as for driving manual i have been driving manual since i was 10, i do know how to drive manual (thanks though nana.gif )

Gotcha. Maybe your stock flywheel ate it up. Usually you pair a new clutch with a new or resurfaced flywheel.
Old 10-24-2008 | 03:57 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^ thank you!! and EVERYONE else who keeps telling me that! i want to print this topic off and show it to the shop and my dad that AFTER 86K or even after 2k miles, THE FLYWHEEL NEEDS RESURFACED, there is something wrong with the people in my town and thinking that they can get away with not machining it even if it only has like 2,000 miles on it

it sucks too because south bend wont give me a refund or warranty on it now because their claim is that the shop installed it wrong because they didnt machine the flywheel, however the shop tells me that south bend gave me a deffective clutch which means i have to spend another $800 to get my car to work properly
Old 10-24-2008 | 04:52 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I wouldn't resurface a flywheel with just 2,000 miles on it. It's barely broken in. It can still be broken in, in a new way with a new clutch. Resurfacing the flywheel just puts a new surface on it. If it's only got a few scratches from a new clutch, it won't have problems. I mean, the clutch won't even break into the flywheel until 500 miles of use. Usually the flywheel is the harder surface. I'd probably just inspect the flywheel and resurface as needed. If it's glazed over well, or shows signs of overheating, grooves, pits, buildup unevenness, or if you put a straight edge over it and it shows a gap, then yes resurface it. Don't just arbitrarily have it resurfaced for $50 if it doesn't need it though. A flywheel can only be resurfaced so many times before it's had too much material removed. I'd say 2000 miles would be an as-needed check for resurfacing.
Old 10-24-2008 | 07:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

^^^
And you wonder why you've been through 4 clutches in 30K miles you friggin moron. Dot the i's cross the t's do everything RIGHT the first time.
Old 10-25-2008 | 12:30 AM
DTN

almost 90,000K miles. And 3 of them were not my fault. 1 of them was from a nitrous burnout, and the one I am about to change is from general wear and tear on the stock clutch with nitrous.... My flywheel is warped and I resurfaced it last time I changed my clutch. There is no reason to resurface a flywheel that is bearly broken in. That's like resurfacing a rotor on your brakes after 2,000 miles. There's no reason.

Some things, like the timing belt, piston rings, seals, it's a better idea to replace or renew if you already have them off. You can't be too careful with certain things and there's no real good checks except performance. You don't hone your heads just because you have them off. You check flatness and then hone them if you need to.

A flywheel can be inspected for flaws and warpage. That's all that matters. If you have a flywheel that looks new, and has no warpage, then it's a good flywheel. There's no reason to reduce the amount of surface metal which also doubles as a heat sink on a good flywheel.

I've seen a few different flywheels. I saw a nice pretty flywheel with one small burn mark come out of an elantra after 20,000 miles. I've seen a pretty worn flywheel come out of a turbocharged mustange with unknown miles. I've seen trucks with glazed over multi-colored flywheels come out. Every time I've pulled the flywheel out of my car it comes out black, the clutch dust has melted over it. I'd resurface all of them. If that elantra flywheel didn't have the small burn mark ( it was about 1/2" long x 1 inches tall in a small section), I'd probly have ignored it. I've never replaced or seen or assisted in a clutch that didn't need a flywheel resurfacing except mine after 1 mile and 700 miles. The 1 after 1 mile requried a new flywheel. The one after 700 miles required a new pressure plate.
Old 10-25-2008 | 06:06 AM
Banned

FAIL ^^^^
Old 10-25-2008 | 11:46 AM
DTN

haha.gif care to elaborate?

Hyundai says to just inspect and replace the flywheel as needed
1.Check the clutch disc contacting surface of the flywheel for damage and wear. Replace the flywheel if excessively damaged or worn.2.Check the clutch disc contacting surface of the flywheel for runout.Standard valueFlywheel run - out : 0.1 mm (0.004 in.)
3.Check the ring gear for damage, crack and wear, and replace if necessary.

The reason is because when you hone a flywheel, you remove everything above the lowest point on the flywheel. Aparently Hyundai dosn't even recommend resurfacing the flywheel. Every time you resurface it increases the chance of run out occouring prematurely from flywheel warpage. Run out conditions make for a vibration in the clutch assembly which transmit throughout the car. If a flywheel was just resurfaced for the first time, then 2,000 miles later, resurfaced again, that's 2 resurfacing jobs on the same flywheel which should have been replaced the first time. You can get away with resurfacing a flyweel a couple of times. If you keep resurfacing it arbitrarily, especially if you don't need to, it will be worthless much quicker.

For example.. Currently, I'm ordering parts to replace my clutch/flywheel assembly. I had a stock clutch and a stock flywheel. The stock flywheel was resurfaced twice that I know of and possibly once by the dealership. It was high time to replace it. Last time I replaced my clutch I tried to replace the flywheel too. The flywheel was damaged during installation by my buddy without my knowledge so I ended up having to put the stocker back in after driving for 1 mile and realizing the problem. So I now have the stock flywheel in with 2 or 3 resurfacing jobs and it warped on me. I'm sure this could have been avoided by replacing the flywheel with the new one that my buddy had damaged.

So, yeah, don't resurface a flywheel for the sake of resurfacing it. It breaks into a clutch just as a clutch breaks into it. Every time you resurface it, the flywheel looses mass uniformly across the surface,not just in the friction area, which is used for rigidity, heat distribution and friction. Our flywheels should be resurfaced 1 or 2 times max. If your flywheel requires resurfacing after 2,000 miles, you may need a stronger flywheel which can stand the rigors of the upgraded clutch you installed. Resurfacing a flywheel downgrades it's durability.
Old 10-25-2008 | 06:03 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

ok, so what your saying is, is that the flywheel gets resurfaced down to the lowest point on it (obviously) so after 2,000 miles if its only barely broken in shouldnt the lowest point be a very small amount meaning that your barely shaving any of it off?? its not like your going to be taking a very large amount of it off so it shouldnt matter that the mass is getting like .000infinity smaller, but more that you know your flywheel is completely flat and level with the clutch