Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Wrx Swap

Old 06-23-2005 | 10:32 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Veilside Turbulence

I posted this earlier on hpforums but i didnt get the best turnout in answers.

My cousins friend totalled his WRX due to rear end collision damage. He asked me if I wanted the motor out of it, I told him hold it till I know I can use it, cause if I cant use it, hes going to sell it.

My question is: Will the WRX Engine fit under my 2K1 Tibbys hood? I have a friend of the family that build NHRA Pro Street Rustang Chassis for a living [Precision Racing] so minor welding of or making of new motor mounts isnt an issue.

Has anyone ever tried this before? Also...his WRX was AWD...if I grab his drivetrain setup [if its in working condition] might i be able to have AWD as well? Im thinking no, only because i think the wrx wheelbase is shorter than the tibs....my head hurts.

blowup.gif
Old 06-23-2005 | 10:33 AM

take it and try it! be the first with a sti tib
Old 06-23-2005 | 10:36 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

if money isn't an issue go for it.

anything is possible
Old 06-23-2005 | 10:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

People with enough $ have done it with evos, handling and looks cool.gif
Old 06-23-2005 | 10:37 AM

You can make anything work with enough money...if you have the time and money to do it, I think you should go for it.
Old 06-23-2005 | 10:44 AM

without re-engineering your entire car? I doubt it. There are a couple of serious issues. The first of which is the engine itself. The WRX and all Subaru engine are "Boxer" engines, basically a 180 degree v4 (or 6 on some) like the Porsche 911 engine. This makes for a very short and squat engine, but it is very wide.

The orientation of the engine and drivetrain is wrong also. Subaru runs their engines in a latitudinal fashion. Most front wheel drive cars are Longitudinal. Basically, the crankshaft of the engine on a Subaru is inline with the length of the car. On the tib the crank is inline with the width.

Because of this, subaru engines are hung out IN FRONT OF the transmissions. To mount up a subaru transmission so that it could power the front wheels of the tib, you would have the engine inches from the inside of the bumper. I do not know where you would put the radiator.

I am not going into the difficulties of mounting up the rear drive wheels...

Personally, if somebody offered me a wrecked WRX or STi.. I would buy an old Subaru XT (remember those?) and mount everything into that funky little car.
Old 06-23-2005 | 10:47 AM

New Wiring harness probably needed to work with your instruments inside... umm.. its alot of work.

You'll have to do alot of restructuring under the car to get an AWD system in place. Basically take the shell of the car and put it onto a new frame. Our tibs don't have room underneath for the whole drivetrain system from a WRX.

Rear suspension system will have to be completely redone, re-enforcement on the in the rear trunk. You'll have to take out the extra wheel space in the trunk to make room for the rear axle.

It can be done, but its going to require alot of body work just to get it all to fit structurally.
Old 06-23-2005 | 10:48 AM

i posted a topic about an evo engine in the tib and i PM a company who primarily does engine swaps, to get started your looking at 10g's so hope money is abundant for ya
Old 06-23-2005 | 10:48 AM

i have to agree with him

this is going to be hard to pull off..

talk to your cousin/uncle or who ever has the experience and see if he can do it.
Old 06-23-2005 | 12:28 PM

In theory, if you spent enough time, and had enough fabricating skills (your friend/relative), it could be done. It is by not means 'cheap' or 'easy'. But if you REALLY want it, it could be done.

It sure would be cool if you could get it done...