Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Windo-weld

Old 10-26-2007 | 07:06 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

First off, my hands are all sticky now. Wear gloves!

I just got done windo-welding my front and rear engine mounts (roll stops). Man oh man do I feel the difference. There is more vibration at idle, which I felt none before. It reduced my road noise, road vibration, and eliminated rough takeoffs which I thought was from my clutch. Not to mention it stopped the bucking when I let off my clutch and the bouncing when I was trying to maintain speed in a parking lot. I can't say enough about this stuff. It's good stuff.

Including the caulk gun, it cost $20 at advanced auto parts. I found it in a metal caulk can labeled "Fast drying urithane" "windo-weld". I just wanted to make it known that you can get it there and it works well.

I havn't seen nearly enough threads on this to make me a full believer. I tried it on a whim. It worked very very well.
Old 10-26-2007 | 07:08 PM

DIY with pics maybe????
Old 10-26-2007 | 07:19 PM
DTN

^^ All you do is take off the rollstop bar on the bottom of your car.
No pix.. my camera didn't work. I had it there to take pix, but I couldn't 02.gif

Removing the rollstop bar:
Remove 4 10mm screws securing the mud flaps to the rollstop brace (the big metal piece under your engine).
Remove 4 17mm bolts from the rollstop brace. The rollstops should not be bearing any weight.
Remove 2 14mm rollstop bolts from the 2 engine mounts and the rollstop bar falls out.

Solidifying the front rollstop engine mount:
Remove the engine mount insert,
cover it in windo-weld
put it back in
wait until the project is completed without disturbing it.

Caulking the windo-weld in the rear engine mount:
apply a thin coat (about 1/4 inch thick) as deep as you can into the rear rollstop engine mount.
wait 2 hours, you can use a heat gun to speed drying
apply a thin coat as deep as you can....
wait 2 hours
repeat as necessary then put the sucker back together.

Oh, i applied too much, so I used a cutofff wheel to make it flush with the engine mount, but there's plenty of extra space so that was not necessary, I just did it to make it look neater before I put it back in and never see it again.
Old 10-26-2007 | 07:51 PM

^^Good enough. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2007 | 12:45 PM

you REALLY REALLY need to clean the mount extremely well. otherwise it wont bond to it, and will not last very long. spend more time preping it then anything else. i use brake clean and a tooth brush to get in there as much as possible, then wipe all area's with a rag. ive done, and sold quite a few sets, and if your prep work is done well, it will hold for years.
Old 10-27-2007 | 02:17 PM
DTN

^^ I hope my 409 clean works.
Old 10-27-2007 | 06:28 PM
Banned

yeah, i got a solid steel rear mount and a windowwelded front mount with a better bushing that stock..

not that much more vibration at idle and you can really feel the difference in a positive way.
Old 10-27-2007 | 06:33 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i'm guessing it's a cheap alternative to polyurethane engine mounts?
Old 10-27-2007 | 06:36 PM

^

yup.

its mainly done bvy people modding car's that have no aftermarket support. so its the best you can do yourself without major machining being done.
Old 10-27-2007 | 07:14 PM
Banned

shit, aint even major machining.. just need two 1/4" thick plates for each side of mount welded on with a hole in the middle..