Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Will Injector Flow increase with bigger pump?

Old 12-25-2002 | 09:22 AM

Default Will Injector Flow increase with bigger pump?

I have got a SAFC and can get some tib injectors for $100 AUS, thats 50 US.
Anyway with a 2nd Gen Rx7 fuel pump, and SAFC to run them
Can i flow more than 245cc, or is that the max they can flow.

The reason i ask this is because according to the injector sizing formula, i need to run about 330cc injectors if i make 145kw at engine.
Linky.
http://www.capa.com.au/library_injectors.htm

So wat do u guys think? Should i be okay or should i just go for new injectors which flow more. BTW my car is an X3 accent
Old 12-26-2002 | 12:31 AM
Red

Nearly all recent electronic fuel injectors are rated for fuel flow at 3 bar (300kpa or 44.1psi) of fuel pressure. If you increase the pressure, you will get increases in fuel delivery.

A pump can sometimes artificially raise fuel pressure because it's TOO big for your stock fuel pressure regulator to vent all the excess... But usually, your answer is no. A pump is not going to increase the "sizing" of your injectors.
Old 12-26-2002 | 03:24 PM

So wat ur sayin is that with tib injectors and a rx7 fuel pump, i will still flow the same amount, even with an SAFC.

Well my other option then is to get a RRFPR but i have been told they put to much pressure on the fuel pump. Especially due to the fact that my injectors are 185cc??? and i need them to flow 300+.

It would be appreciated on what ur thoughts on this and wat u would do.
Thanks
Old 12-26-2002 | 04:57 PM

ok... let me rephrase what red said
smile.gif

A bigger pump will NOT increase the size of your injectors... NOTHING will... they are made out of metal and plastic
Unless you pic at it with a tooth pick or something, the size will not increase

By switching out the fuel pump with a LARGER one... you will increase the fuel pressure

By increasing the fuel pressure, you increase the amount of fuel moving

The more fuel moving... the more fuel going through your injectors

So even though you didnt increase the size of the injectors, you increase the AMOUNT OF FUEL going THROUGH them...

hope this helps man
smile.gif

BTW... why are you so desperate for fuel?
Old 12-26-2002 | 09:46 PM

Guys, i do know that the physical size of the injector wont change, i meant the flow of it, althou i must of phrased my question wrong.

The reason i am desperate is cos i have an CAPA supercharger comin my way and i wanna run more boost. I have water injection to keep everything cool, so know i need more fuel to be adequate for the amount of air that the s/c will be forcing in. I dont want my engine to go kaboom.

So wat im proposing was either running a raised rate fuel pressure reg. or running bigger injectors. I would prefer bigger injectors, hence the reason why i chose the beta 1 injectors. They will fit into an alpha 1.5L DOHC, and they also flow more. With a bigger fuel pump and the SAFC to further tune the bigger injectors, i hope to be able to flow enough fuel.

Using the injector flow equation on the CAPA website, they recommend 360cc per injector to be sufficient, for the power im making (150kw @ fly). Now i was hopin somone would be able to give me guidence whether my setup would be enough, or a waste of my dough and i should fork out the money for a RRFPR, or even bigger injectors. However at $100 AUS a set of injectors and also $100 AUS for a RX7 S4 fuel pump, it would be a bargin, and then would save me money. Also i would need to put aside money to get the injectors cleaned, say another 100.

So what do u guys think. FYI i have a 99 accent, 1.5L DOHC with hve 4-1 extractors, 2 1/4 inch exhaust with hi flow cat, Hve BBTB, CAI, and a performance chip, which did squat besides dump ****loads of fuel at high RPM. U should see them AFR's before and after the chip was installed.

Anyway thankyou for ur information. I look forward to your replies.

Finally, this may sound like a dumb question, but are Turbo timers needed for super chargers?

[ December 27, 2002, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: EnricoPalazzo ]
Old 12-27-2002 | 04:15 AM

everything makes more sense now
smile.gif

Ok... for a supercharger a RRFPR is MANDITORY

As boost increases... so will fuel pressure

Im not sure how big the accent injectors are, so i really cant comment

Maybe going with injectors that are twice as big, and using an SAFC to tune them to 50% will help

Remember... if you get too much fuel, your car will idle HORRIBLY, it might not even start

330cc operating under stock circumstances will flood your engine

Red will explain this in further detail...
Old 12-27-2002 | 03:03 PM

Will he? I hope so.

Well the guy at CAPA reckons a RRFPR will suffice.
And they did develop the kit so they know wat there talkin about. ill just patiently wait for more input. Thanks for all ur help so far guys.