Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Why would anyone buy e85?

Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Originally Posted by WytchDctr
annndd if e85 caught on like they wanted? Maybe once they get better with making it out of stuff we don't eat at all it would be more viable, but if we really got into that as a fuel we would be burning food worthy stuff.
The only way it makes sense is if we can use a crop that isn't suitable for food or for feeding livestock which is also grown in a location that is not suitable for food production. In some instances sugar cane meets those requirements, but that wouldn't hold for long if demand rose significantly because it would need to start displacing other crops on arable land.

Originally Posted by WytchDctr
Has that stuff even moved into the energy positive realm yet? The last time I checked the amount of equipment it takes to make and move it still uses more than it makes.
Yes, in some cases. Generally not much above break even for corn based methods, but many other methods yield significantly more energy than required to produce it.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra

I considered using e85 so that I could run some high boost but there's no stations that sell it locally so I had to ditch that idea. AND if you can properly tune the vehicle you won't lose as much gas mileage as most people will tell you (which is 30%) of course if you are using it for performance gains then chances are you don't care anyway about mileage lol
Old 01-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Raise your hand if you think it's evil to burn 1/3 of the corn crop in the USA for motor fuel while people die of starvation in other countries