Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

What's the function of resonator that is under air intake?

Old 09-10-2001 | 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Silver_Tibby:
Cool. Thanx

Well, I didn't get a chance to pull that puppy out and get some pictures done this weekend. I'll try and do it tonight. Then tack on another day for getting the film processed. I should have pics up by this weekend. Dang...all this anticipation for such underwhelming pictures. wink.gif
Old 09-11-2001 | 02:55 AM

Hey Iago, if I understood you correctly, what you did was to remove the resonator and leave the air intake... right?
If so, what did you do to the hole that connected air intake to resonator?
And after doing this mod, did you feel any power gain?
ANd.... don't worry about those picture smile.gif

hawaiibullrider, I wish I could do that kind of mod. I'm just too lazy to buy all parts

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: Silver_Tibby ]
Old 09-11-2001 | 02:04 PM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

Don't make the K&n drop ins for the 1.6L DOHC yet. Hell, Fram doesn't make filters yet! I gotta goto the dealer**** tomorrow and get an air filter!
Old 09-12-2001 | 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Silver_Tibby:
Hey Iago, if I understood you correctly, what you did was to remove the resonator and leave the air intake... right?
If so, what did you do to the hole that connected air intake to resonator?
And after doing this mod, did you feel any power gain?

You are correct in your understanding. The resonators are gone, but the intake was replaced. For the sake of preventing unnecessary hot / dusty air in, I wrapped electrical tape over the holes to seal them up. This will cause the engine to work slightly harder to breathe in, but I figured that the debate between cold-but-harder-to-get air vs. hot-and-dirty-but-easy-to-draw air would be minor.
I don't know if there really WAS a power gain, or if I just *thought* I felt a gain, but there may have been a minor increase in HP. There was a DEFINITE increase in performance when I had taken everything out, resonator, intake, and all, but that only lasted about 20 minutes until the radiator kicked on. Then I felt like I had LOST power over the stock setup. If nothing else, I took out some superfluous weight and helped streamline the intake of air into the engine. As you will see when I get the pictures developed and posted, the stock air intake is still somewhat restrictive, and when I install my bored IM and throttle body, I'll probably replace the rest of it with something else.
Old 09-12-2001 | 05:04 PM

I think I will just wait til this X-Mas to install CAI... since I'm going to university this Friday, I think I should care more about GP improvement than car HP improvement

And about that hour of shopping... do you really think that lazy people can shop for entire hour!!! rolleyes.gif
Old 10-01-2001 | 07:16 AM

I'm not sure, but if you used this "snorkus" method, wouldn't you be more prone to hydrolocking your engine, especially if you ran the dryer tubing down under the fender where the tire would throw water right at it? I dunno a lot about this, but from my understanding you just remove the air intake, the resonator, then run a dryer tube from the hole in the stock airbox that the stock air intake was in down into the fender where it can suck in cooler air. (Basically a cheap CAI.) Should there be some mesh or something on the end of the dryer tube to prevent sucking up water?
Old 10-01-2001 | 07:25 AM

Mesh won't stop water, unless it's very fine, in which case it's posing an equally big restriction to airflow. Hydrolock is still a very minimal risk, because there are drain holes in the stock air box. The odds of sucking up SO MUCH WATER that these drain holes can't dump it out fast enough is tiny. You'd have to be in SUCH a deep puddle that hydrolock would hopefully no longer be your biggest concern...getting your ass out of the river before your car goes under would be!
Old 10-01-2001 | 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

With the "snorkus" setup. You would not Hydrolock even if you dunked the end of the snorkus in water.

The stock air filter is HUGE. About 5" by 8". That is a HELL of a lot of surface area. Add more surface area for the pleats. the more surface area/larger the chamber the more the pressure drops. There are also air holes in the stock airbox to allow air in and water out. If you dunked the "snorkus" end in water, the engine would just suck the majority of the air through those holes.