Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

What's the function of resonator that is under air intake?

Old 09-05-2001 | 12:14 PM

Default What's the function of resonator that is under air intake?

I'm asking this because I blocked the hole that connects resonator and stock air intake, and after driving for like 10 minutes in highway, the car started smell like paper burning or something like that.
Old 09-05-2001 | 12:33 PM

LOL Why would you want to plug any hole for the intake. You are talking about the hole that is underneath right before the box right.
The anwser to your question about the resonater. It is to quite down the sound from your intake. If you just leave the box for your intake and remove the rest of the resonter it will sound better. Plus it will give you .00002whp lol j/k. Just save up the money for when SR comes out with there cold air intake. Or you can buy KORE's. your choice. Or you can email Random or search the post on his special CAI. Blah Blah Blah

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: techcontib ]
Old 09-05-2001 | 01:13 PM

I bought KORE CAI like a month and half ago. The problem is that they haven't shipped it yet. Anyway, I was just "experimenting."
Old 09-05-2001 | 01:43 PM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

hahaha smile.gif

I took mine off just for the sound. Waiting for the SR CAI, not that KORE or MHP are bad it's just, I'm a member of Team SR and all.

Do a search you can read about how you can take some metal tubes and make an intake coming from the bottom grill. You know that was invented in the south, cause we're cool like that.
Old 09-05-2001 | 02:32 PM

Silver Tibby:
Try this: http://webhome.idirect.com/~trini/car/freehp.html

Or This: http://homepages.enterprise.net/jkjackson/...pages/kandn.htm

But for the love of GOD!!! Take the stuffing out! You're gonna have more than just smells soon if ya don't. Perhaps Random can explain more of this, but you need AIR to mix with your fuel!
Old 09-05-2001 | 02:37 PM

KayJai what "stuffing" are you talking about? I took did exactly what the first page did, so am I OK?
Old 09-05-2001 | 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by Silver_Tibby:
I'm asking this because I blocked the hole that connects resonator and stock air intake, and after driving for like 10 minutes in highway, the car started smell like paper burning or something like that.

Okay...if you did what I think you did...you did it wrong. You probably created so much suction with your motor, that you sucked parts of the paper filter element through the MAF and into the motor. Before you drive ANYWHERE!!! Open that airbox up and verify that the stock paper filter is A-OK.

You should have simply removed these parts..

And it should have looked like this when done...

If you removed the stock resonator...then blocked the hole between the resonator and the stock airbox...you basically starved your engine for air, and could have done some serious damage.

please reply with exactly what you did, and what/where you stuffed, and what you used for "stuffing"?

And lastly...where did you get the idea to "stuff" anything anywhere? sad.gif
Old 09-05-2001 | 04:18 PM

Man, I ain't stuffed nothing, my engine ain't no turkey!

I followed those directions to a "T" so I should be OK huh? Just curiously, how much will the sound change?

Thanks, JVX
Old 09-06-2001 | 03:25 AM

Hey thanx everyone for help! smile.gif

I just checked the filter and it was OK. I also removed thing that is blocking the hole that connects resonator and air intake.

I tried that 5 HP gain mod, but I don't it doesn't help me anyway... at least I couldn't feel any power. Also I think it would lower HP if it starts to suck hotter air later on.
Old 09-06-2001 | 03:52 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Over time, the plastic resonator and airbox heat up, and the intake air becomes rather hot from traveling through that resonator.

The point in removing the resonator is to allow MORE air into the engine. That incrase in air VOLUME makes the increase in HP.