Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

What Would You Do?

Old 10-13-2001 | 08:10 AM

Default What Would You Do?

So i blew my head gasket 2 days ago..... Thinking about putting in a new motor, and while im at it should i look into a turbo/supercharger? I'm not sure of what to do motorwise....can i put in a 2.0 and new tibby 5-speed, will i notice anygains and while im at it should i look into a supercharger? what kind of costs am i looking at and what kind of gains will i reap the fun of? I dont know how much this will all cost but if i put my mind to the saving i can pull it off. thanks for your help all....
Old 10-13-2001 | 12:05 PM

You can't just replace the head gasket?, what else got damaged?, I know sometimes the head it self gets warped but if it can be fixed/replaced why get a new engine?
You could even get a head with a port & polish job. wink.gif
Old 10-15-2001 | 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

In the 1997 elantra, you should already have the beta motor (1.8L). You are the FIRST beta motor that has blown a head gasket that I have heard of. Hyundai uses a VERY high quality metal gasket that has rubberized cork on both sides. It is also one of the main reasons the engine can run boost so well, the stock gasket is nearly bullet proof.

How did it happen?

You can drop in either the 2.0L beta or the 1.8L beta, as they are both externally identical and mount up the same.
Old 10-15-2001 | 06:45 AM

well i am just assuming that i blew the head gasket being as i have coolant coming out of my exaust system, and i have oil im my radiator..the pressure im my radiator blew it open at the filler neck-overflow nipple.the car overheated and blew white smoke out of the hole in the radiator...maybe its something else but running on 1,2,4 cyl for 1500 miles cause of a blown coil may have allowed the head gasket to become damaged. and when that cyl began working the heat blew it...
Old 10-15-2001 | 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

If you have oil in your radiator, and coolant in your exhaust, you might have exhaust leaking into your coolant, overpressurizing the system and causing the Radiator to blow like that.

Also...our coilpacks have a "waste" spark system. So 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 ALWAYS fire at the same time. So 1 and 3 both fire twice. Once for the #1 cylinder, and #3 is the waste spark, then #1 is waste spark and #3 fires.

So it is rather strange that just ONE pole of the dual pole coil would go bad, and let the other pole continue to fire perfectly...

Also...if the #3 cylinder WAS dead (or any of the cylinders for that matter), gas would begin to pool and then evaporate, as air comes in the intake valves and out the exahust valves.

Eventually, the hot exhaust gases and hot exhaust manifold could cause that rich air/fuel mixure to ignite, and back fire into that "dead" cylinder, where there is more gas/air waiting for a fire/spark.

THIS could cause you to blow a head gasket...and do some other bad/nasty things to your motor.

If you had the "older" elantra, you could swap in a Mitsubishi Turbo powerplant...but since you have the 1997...you can only swap in the 1.8L or 2.0L beta. You MIGHT be able to squeeze in old the 2.4L I4 from the Sonata, but I have no idea if it would fit/bolt in.