Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

what muffler???

Old 03-13-2002 | 03:36 AM

Default what muffler???

i want to know what kind of muffler is best for a 97 tibby? i want one that is loud but not ricey loud i want it to sound deep. any suggestions?? brand, model, and price would be good. oh and i want a big tip too heheh and straight through design..

laterzzz

the one and only COCO!!!
Old 03-13-2002 | 04:54 AM

straight throug mufflers are not the best choice for a daily driver..

the 1 or 3 extra hp you'll get at redline are worthless compared to the bottom end torque you will lose and your car will run a crappy 1/4 mile ET.
Old 03-13-2002 | 06:26 AM

Now that the we are right into the subject, I'd like to ask which are that technical diferences between straight through mufflers, and multi-chamber mufflers.
The Glasspacks are Straight through aren't they? Is there like a standarized setup, i.E. Straight through with Glasspacks; or Multichamber don't require glasspack or anything like that?

[ March 13, 2002, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Zman ]
Old 03-13-2002 | 07:15 AM

i have a glass pack and i run pretty good and like the sound just i want to have the good looks of a performance muffler.

so my question changes to would be which is the best design and brand and model??? has to sound good too!!

-laterzzz
Old 03-13-2002 | 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I'm personally a fan of Magnaflow mufflers. I've tried 4 different ones, and it's my favorite for sound and performance so far. Sound choice is fairly subjective though, so you might want to listen to cars, and find out what kind of muffler is on cars you like the sound of. If the same brand name keeps poping up, you found your muffler!

In regards to performance, unless you want to shell out several hundred dollars for various different mufflers, and then shell out some serious dyno time, there is no way to tell WHICH muffler will work best HP wise with your system.

In general, a straight through muffler will be noisy, but flow well, and have a good top end, and the expense of low/midrange. A "multi-chamber/baffle" style muffler, will have a quite sound, boost low/mid range, but take some off the top end. Since 90% of your driving is one between 4500 rpm and 2000 RPM, it pays to boost he lower end (unless you are building an all out drag car)

[ March 13, 2002, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 03-13-2002 | 05:15 PM

I like my "fireball" style muffler! As for losing mid-range performance, I have a 5-speed and I don't need mid-range! That is why it is suggested that if you have a 5-speed that you install a 4-1 header.

Seriously I don't think performance will change much between the two. It is all about what makes the sound you want and the look you want.
Old 03-16-2002 | 11:29 AM

thankz RANDOM

ill have to look into those magnaflow exhausts..

laterzzz

-THE ONE AND ONLY COCO!!
Old 03-17-2002 | 12:46 AM

"sound" is not a measure of performance.

i recently went to the muffler shop and had them intall a custom made cat-back for me...

and i used a common, every day over the shelf aluminized turbo muffler...

the sound is very low *but louder than stock*... and it improves the low/midrange AND top end !!!!!

i suggest that you get a multi-chamber muffler no matter what transmission you are using...

also, those straight through mufflers only deliver their claimed "top end power" at redline which means you cant even really use the extra power.

sheesh. (only a turbo engine would really benefit from a straight through muffler because the TOTAL reduction of backpressure will enhance the spooling speed of the turbo and therefore reduce the lag of a large turbo).... but for ANY other daily driven vehicle, the straight through muffler will only make the car weaker to drive/race on the street... i suggest that you choose a well made, light, aluminized turbo style (multichamber) muffler. smile.gif

[ March 17, 2002, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: FordFasteR ]
Old 03-17-2002 | 03:31 AM

I have an OBX bomb b3, and i really like it. its not popy or ricey at all, its real low and rumbley
Old 03-17-2002 | 03:32 AM

I have noticed that the mufflers with 2 outlets are the most popy