Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

What Gives Better Numbers

Old 10-11-2005 | 12:26 PM

Eh, I wouldn't really doubt an 8whp difference. Taking weight off the engine really helps. There's a writeup somewhere on this forum that's taken from some other site about underdrive pulleys, and for every pound you take off the weight, it's 2.7hp or something like that.

Someone here said they felt their underdrive pulley more than they felt when they first put they're CAI on. Others say they can hardly feel a difference, but there IS a difference. You can't even feel a difference unless the gain is 5+whp anyway. Bear in mind that our pulleys weigh close to 5 lbs. Our aftermarket crank pulleys are like around 1/5 the weight or LESS.
Old 10-11-2005 | 12:28 PM

yeah, I didnt feel too much of a difference after I put my unorthodox UP on. I guess if I had more mods it would make a bigger difference.
Old 10-11-2005 | 12:37 PM

How about off the line? Is there a difference in the lower gears?
Old 10-11-2005 | 12:51 PM

If you can find me any tiburon that gains 5 WHP with any combination of pulleys, I'd be VERY surprised.

Pulleys will give you 1-2 max. Don't expect more than a lighter feeling engine and you won't be disappointed.
Old 10-11-2005 | 12:52 PM

Do you have pulleys? wink1.gif

Lighter feeling is all I expect.
Old 10-11-2005 | 01:25 PM

Yep. Have a SR set on it's way actually.

But more relevant to your question would be this:

Article on Pulleys

I'm getting them because I want an efficient, fun to drive NA engine.
Old 10-11-2005 | 02:54 PM

Wow, ^^that was a really interesting article, thanks for the link. But if our cranks are supposed to withstand up to 800hp (I'm recalling that from another post but don't quote me) the pulley shouldn't cause a problem right? I know there are a bunch of people on here that have pulleys and have had them for a while with no problem...So now I guess the question is do these people who have had them on for a long time experience cabin vibration, accessories not functioning to full capacity, or even has anyone ever had a problem with their crank? Again, I'm not really expecting to get this claimed 8whp by any means, I want to just make my engine more efficient if possible with this, but could it be at the expense of ride comfort and reliability?
Old 10-11-2005 | 03:51 PM

I have had mine on for almost 60,000 miles. The only disadvantages I have found...

If I leave the lights on while the car is idling, they get pretty dim due to the lack of juice from the slower turning alternator.

I have to periodically retighten the belts a bit as they stretch. The machined aluminum surface is a lot more slippery than the steel of the stock pulley.

Other than that... The car might as well be stock. I honestly think this is one of those mods with almost no downside.
Old 10-11-2005 | 07:12 PM

How often is periodically? Every oil change perhaps?