Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

What Could Be The Worst To The Auto Tranny?

Old 05-10-2005, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My suggestions is buy the nitrous, take it to the track, and just do multiple runs (some with the new take off and then some with the nitrous if you want) that way you arent spending the money twice. Of course, I bet its just plane fun going many times smile.gif
Old 05-10-2005, 09:03 PM

yeah, your suggestion is better, i will try to do that, i dont want to spend more money on that....lol

if i can go this month to the track i will have to leave it to next month. but i guess that is better.

thanks
Old 05-11-2005, 01:35 AM

One word of warning about the method I posted earlier. DO NOT FLOOR THE ACCELERATOR WITH THE BRAKE ON. You wanto to roll on the throttle slowly to no more than half throttle, the RPMS should stop rising long before you get to half throttle, then back off until you can hold the RPM at that point.

When the last amber light goes on, do not floor the gas. Dump the brake, and SLOWLY apply the gas from your preset throttle (usually about 1/8th to 1/4) to full throttle. It should take you about half a second to go from 1/4 throttle to full throttle. Don't just "tromp" on the go pedal. Traction is your friend, and you want to use all that you have available. Your 60' times will probably beat most manual tranny tibs/elantras that are suffering from wheel spin/wheel hop. That give you the "hole shot" and from then on, the race is yours to loose.

When the race is done, DO NOT shut off the car. Let the car idle for 3-5 minutes. That tranny fluid will be HOT. You want the engine running with the car in park, so that the tranny fluid will circulate through the tranny cooler built into the radiator and drop in temp.

The same is true for manual transmissions and the engine coolant. After a drag run, don't shut off the engine right away when you get back from a run. Let the engine idle/cool for 3-5 minutes. The cooling fans may come on/kick on, but that's a good thing. Had you shut the car off, the fans wouldn't kick on, and that hot coolant would only circulate via convection (thermal pressure/expansion) with no cooling air from the fans.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:06 AM

Good stuff Random. I also remember that you do not want to hold brake and gas(power brake) for a long time. 10 seconds max! I remember actually loosing power if I held both for a while on my XD.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:12 AM

Very nice info Random, thanks,

i undertand so mcuh now, and no more than 10 sec, right? ok.

I guess I have to practice that lunch, i have never done that before. lol

^^ do you loose power after 10 sec of doing that? or you only loose power of do that? smile.gif

thanks
Old 05-11-2005, 08:04 AM

I just remember car feeling very slugish after I was holding it for a while. If I released it right away I would get my tires spin for a bit and get a very nice jump off the line, but if I held it in for a while, I barely/none spun tires and jump was very little.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:17 AM

ok. now I know it. hope to do everything right!
Old 05-11-2005, 10:03 AM

QUOTE (AEMTIB01 @ May 10 2005, 07:14 PM)
i alwys though racing any 4 or 6cyl auto was dumb

Supra is a 6...and some people call the automatic the "automagic".

as for nuetral dropping an auto...your tranny would be gone after a few...depending on the age of the car/wear on tranny in the past, i'd be surprised if it even made it down the track.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:05 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

how bad is driving in reverse and then shifting into drive really quick and flooring it so that you can burn the tires?
im asking because my dumbass friend who has a cavalier always does this to look cool, i try telling him how stupid he is but he doesn't listen.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:13 AM

Just as bad as neutral drop.