Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

What Could It Be?

Old 08-14-2006 | 12:14 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i alwayys say this. might be the coilpack. evap. spark plugs/wires. ignition. you know when you drive your car hard like that you can destroy your alternator?

you don't need the computer scanner. that costs like over $100. go to a gas station and have them scan it for you to check the codes. then write down the code. you can even have them look up the code in their code book. they'll tell you the problem.
Old 08-14-2006 | 02:36 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Theres a few Autozones around, Ill nip there wednesday and come back with the code smile.gif

Thanks for the help lads..

Ok I have a couple of questions... when it comes to stuff like this I can usually work it out and fix things once I am pushed in the right direction..

OK, so on my intake there is a (what looks like) sensor that pushes into a hole.. what is this called incase this comes up as bad?

Then following up the intake there is a black one directional cylinder that looks like another sensor, what is this one called?

Can either be cleaned? and if so how would one go about cleaning them (esp the one thats cylindrical).

I can find the injectors if it's them, I know where the ECU is (I also know how to reset and 'teach' it) and I know where the fuel filter resides (thanks again to Jay M thats getting changed this weekend).

Right, so if one of you kind chaps can put a name to those parts I would really appreciate it smile.gif smile.gif
Old 08-14-2006 | 02:58 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

The black sensor that plugs into a hole is called the IAT sensor, Intake Air Temperature sensor.
pretty self explanitory...

The cyndrilical black ("one-way") sensor is called your MAF, Mass Air Flow Sensor. This is one half of your car's brain, the other residing in the ECU. Please do not pull your car's brain out and wipe it down with a wet rag or something.. and never EVER install and run your vehicle with a improperly installed 1/2 brain... (i.e. the wrong way). It's bad and could damage your sensor (it only goes one way for a reason).

check this site out.

http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech

It's awesome, you may have to sign up and give your e-mail but whatever...
You can plug in your make, model, year, and trim and find everything from;

where all the bolts are located (with PICTURES) to remove your center console, dash, crash pad, steering wheel...

how to remove and bleed your brake lines

how to troubleshoot certain problems that have arisen with your car/engine

a complete list of "P" codes and there meaning and what one should do to completely try and resolve the diagnosis.

The "P" codes are what you get from the scanner that plugs into your OBDII port under your steering column, an example would be P0301 which means a misfire of 2% per 1000rpms in cylinder 1 has been detected and has been consistent for two consecutive driving cycles... (P0302 would be cylinder 2...)

Webtech is your friend!!!! sometimes, even more so than this site. =P
Old 08-14-2006 | 03:08 PM

aha.. so that's the MAF I have heard so much about..

Thanks Pat..

I looked on HMA before but it's hella confusing.. however once I know what everything under the engine bay is called I will be better off..

I have heard that people have problems with the MAF when they use a CAI, a friend of mine with a GK had to get a beefier one..

Ok, so Im off to AZ tomorrow.. my cousins taking the morning off so he can show me where it is smile.gif

So I assume now that there is no way to clean the MAF? because I have a feeling that it's got fust in it..

I hear they run btwn $140 and $200.. so that would suck if I have to buy a replacement cos work have been chopping hours due to the summer lameness of sales.
Old 08-14-2006 | 03:14 PM

ummm, you could by mine for like 1/4th that. wink1.gif I'm gonna have TWo extras here real soon...

1.8L or 2.0L?
Old 08-14-2006 | 03:27 PM

It's the 2l goodness..

And I wired it back to front when I first installed the intake, so it might have been dodgy since.

I dont even know for sure if it's that yet, but I have seen first hand what happens when 'that' isnt happy.. when I first installed the CAI and plugs and wires and installed it backwards my car was pissing black smoke and generally running like the sores on a prostitutes minge. very badly.

I'll most certainly be interested if it does turn out to be that Pat, funds are tight at the moment.

The air temp sensor is $7.59 from advance, so I am most certainly *not* worried about it being that lmao.gif
Old 08-14-2006 | 03:31 PM

because of your disgusting choice of diction and nearly making me puke up the hot wings i just ate, the price has gone up to 50 (for the 2.0L MAF). joke.gif

puke.gif
GET YOUR CAR SCANNED!!!!
That' what the OBDII system is there for, utilize it!!!
Old 08-14-2006 | 05:55 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

first off: please do not use the word "minge" on this site again.

2nd: You can clean the maf using some spray on contact cleaner. Nothing else. only contact cleaner, do not touch it, and do not look at it for too long....... j/k you can look at it, but BE CAREFUL!!!!
Old 08-14-2006 | 10:31 PM

M**ge is actually a very pleasant word in the UK.
But hey, if it causes offence I shall choose another word in the future (The scottish word for it is 'flower')

Anyways, praise be to the Hyundai gods.. I have fixed it /phew.

When I got to work tonight it was running really, really badly.

I begun to think that because of my happy birthday thread I had annoyed someone in a higher place (and the fact I have been boasting how hyundai schnizzle ma nizzle at work).

After the lengthy discussion about the MAF I decided to take one last look at it at work tonight, and I finally noticed that the git was unattatched from the upper collar (right where it connects to the bit that curves with the 2 outlet pipes).

Obviously that dirt road *had* caused damage, it had bounced the CAI around to the point where the hosing spat it out..

Called my pal down and we went to work (at the parking lot in work, they werent best pleased lmao.gif ) and as soon as I started the car - CEL gone ! laugh.gif

Thanks again for the offer Pat, again I was boasting at work about how you guys are really cool and help one another out when in need.. One up for us and one in the nuts for the Hondar posseeee.

And with that I will bid you fellas adios for now, Mods you can lock this thread but please leave it here for others to heed from me being a bellend..

Peas and gravy and all that (It's pie, and chips, for free....) Pands fing02.gif