Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Weekend Project: BIM (lots of PICS)

Old 05-29-2002 | 03:07 PM

I finally dusted off my BIM after 2 months and installed it on Monday too. Took me about 2 hrs too, half-awake and fumbling around as I was. I didn't remove the fuel rail--just dropped the IM down & out below it and snuck the new one in its place. Being very careful not to damage the injectors, of course.

I also managed to get the bracket off without getting under the car--I just traced down to the lower bolts with my fingers and stuck a socket wrench down there. Once you disconnect the throttle cables and the necessary hoses, you should be able to get your arm down there unless you're really huge. Leverage is the only problem. They were actually a bit corroded, I used another large wrench to pry against the block to move the socket the first quarter turn.

The change in throttle response is great. No more hesitation off the line.
Old 05-30-2002 | 12:56 AM

damn, well your a better man than i smile.gif it took two people tugging on one of the lower bolts. Cause that bitch is on tight.
But thats quite possibly just my bolt, cause yellowtibs came off easy. But he's got a younger tib.
I guess you can do it all from above, but you'll need some skinny arms wink
Old 05-30-2002 | 02:54 AM

One of my skinny arms did the work of two people on your engine wink

I've got a 2000 like you, and yeah they were corroded nicely down at the back. I'm not real big on washing down my engine bay.

It's all about leverage--stick the socket wrench on there(6-point sockets are key, 12-point are only good for stripping bolts), then move it using another big wrench. I used the engine block itself to pry against. Just buy tools with lifetime warranties and don't worry about cracking the sockets
Old 05-30-2002 | 03:45 AM

hahha sweet smile.gif good idea smile.gif
i normally use my teeth, but i guess sockets wouldn't be a bad idea either! smile.gif
Old 06-27-2002 | 07:16 AM

YEah yeah, I know this post is old... but FVCK! Them damn bolts underneath are going to turn me into Hercules if they don't come off! I've been tugging on them, trying sooo many different things now for almost two hours, and they still won't budge! Gah!! Going insane!

Guess I'll go grab some liquid wrench and see if that helps maybe? Grrrrrrr..
Old 06-27-2002 | 07:23 AM

try to get a pipe in there to help you pull
Old 06-27-2002 | 07:44 AM

Believe it or not, I put on an extra.. ohh I'd say about 8" extension onto the handle of the socket wrench, and still it won't budge. Girlfriend is bringing some liquid wrench right now.. it damn well better work or I may kill someone.

EDIT: Okay, are these fvckers torqued on? And also, my girlfriend's dad was telling me that there may be a tightening sequence to put it back on.. is that true, or not? Couple more questions here; Would using a breaker bar be a bad idea on those two lower bolts? And one last question: Do any of the bolts have to be torqued back on when I put the new one on? Thanks!

It's now been 3.5 hours that I've been trying to get those bolts off.. I am about to go postal.
Old 06-27-2002 | 07:26 PM

Anyone know of a torqueing sequence/torque amount for those bolts??
Old 06-27-2002 | 09:40 PM

I don't know that it makes a huge difference on that--it's not like the head. I tightened in a semi-opposite pattern, but it's not supposed to be super-tight anyways. Maybe 30 ft-lbs torque, but I didn't even bother to pull out the torque wrench. I just did it to about the same force that it took to get it off.
Old 06-27-2002 | 09:54 PM

yeah i had a couple trouble bolts. I just wd40'ed them, and bounced the spanner(jerk it a couple times) and eventually they broke free, but only after nearly getting a hernia. Actually i think i hurt my ovaries doing that wink hehehehe.

anyway, they come off, just with a little elbow grease and a few 4letter explicatives. Putting them back on just tightem them down good. No real torque specification that i can think of.