Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Voltage Spikes???

Old 05-03-2005, 11:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok, I did some searches and cannot find the problems I am having. I dont even think it is a problem, but I figured I would ask to see what you'll thought.

ok, I have just recently (3 months ago) did the Big 3 Wire Upgrade(alt to bat, ground wire, ground block) and have been very impressed with the results. I was getting around 13.2-3 at the battery with the engine on and all accessories and lights on, now I am at 14.3-4 with all accessories running and stereo blasting. Great, except the other night on the way home I noticed my headlights got brighter for a split second, then went back to normal. It does this haphazardly. It doesn't matter if I hit a bump, go around a corner too hard. It is completely random.

I am wondering if this is just a normal flux in energy that I am noticing because the electrical is much more efficient than before (causing a greater visual difference in the brightness of my headlights). Or is this something I should be concerned with. The car seems to drive just fine, absolutely no problems with drivability. Basically I want to know if this is something that has been there and is common and is something that I have just recently noticed, or is this the signs of a gremlin in my electrical.

Thanks ya'll! smile.gif
Old 05-03-2005, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird. It just spikes up for no reason? Anything was done to the car recently?

Hmmm, it doesn't sound to good. I would get everything checked out, maybe there is some kind of problem. Also, if you have time, why don't you undo everything and see if the problem occures again.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:10 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

maybe problem could be in voltage regulator?
Old 05-04-2005, 02:16 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Thats what I was thinking. The Alt has a built in voltage regulator so that it does not supply more voltage than required to power accessories / charge the battery. It could be on its way out.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:18 AM

Just wondering, were you running any of the following items?
Rear Defroster
Front Defroster
Air Conditioning
Radiator or AC cooling Fan

If you were running the Rear Defrost, it's a high draw electrical item. When it kicks on/off there is a voltage drop/spike that will cause electrical fluctuation.

If you were running the front defroster or the AC, same thing, you're running the AC condenser and the passenger side cooling fan. It's a high draw electrical item.

If your main cooling fan kicks on/off, again, high draw item....

If they only dim/get bright for a short period (5 second or less) don't worry about it. If it's for longer than 5 seconds, then it sounds like your voltage regulator might be on the way out.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:20 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

you know, it totally acts like something with a lot of draw on the electrical turns on. That seems very logical. But I sat out last night with the car running and lights on in front of the garage door and nothing happened when the fans kicked in. I'll try the ac today. I did get it to do it once. I revved the engine about 6 times in a row (6000) and it did it once when the rpm's where around 5000. But again, this is a random occurence, the other times were on the highway at a constant 3800 RPM. I don't know. It is very short, not even a second each time. Should I just watchit carefully over the next couple of months?

Thanks Guys
Old 05-04-2005, 07:44 AM

such a short occurance.. I would not worry about it too much. Now if you get a big spike that lasts five seconds or more, you will be looking at some problems, probably blown fuses at first, and then maybe a fried alt/reg or other electrical items.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:03 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

how much power are you pushing with the stereo?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Its probably just the major accessories kicking on, especially if you have a sound system installed. You can keep an eye on it, but the problem probably isn't anything to worry about. It might have even been worse before the upgrade, and you didn't notice.

Random and Mad are right on this one me thinks.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Do you have a voltmeter hooked up for while you're in the car? Is there a spike/drop when the lights change brightness? I have NOT done the big 3 upgrade, but I'm running a constant 14.2-14.3 at all times.

It drops to 13.5 if I have windshield wipers, rear & front defrost, headlights, and stereo on.