Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

very loud screeching noise when turning right

Old 08-11-2010 | 12:00 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default very loud screeching noise when turning right

hey all, i have an issue with the car that i hope you guys can help with. i noticed yesterday that anytime i make a right turn, theres a really loud screeching noise coming from the car. it does it whether the car is warmed up or cold. my first thought was that maybe the belts were loose. i checked them out and everything is good on them. no wear and theyre nice and tight on the pulleys. i checked power steering fluid and that seems to be fine too.

it only makes the noise when i turn right. when i turn left its ok. any ideas what could be causing this?
Old 08-11-2010 | 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If it makes the noise when the car is not moving:

With the engine running and the hood up, have someone crank the wheel hard all the way to the right. Have a GOOD look at the power steering and alternator belts.
Old 08-11-2010 | 03:24 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

power steering/alternator belt usually. it might look tight, but it'll make noise if it's not tight enough. the alternator has a pivot on it. it's hard but i took a crowbar and tightened it that way, then screwed it some more to tighten it more. i'm sure there's some factory setting on it though, but i don't know that much.