Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Valves And Their Holes

Old 07-15-2008, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I removed the head to install a decompression plate, and while I had the head off I thought it a good opportunity to clean everything up, since the engine has about 60k on it, and thought it would be neat to take the head apart.

I removed all the valves and put them in a rack so that each valve would be reinstalled in it's original port.

My dad was messing in the garage today and flipped the rack, so now the valves are completely mixed up.

My question is, does this really matter? Does wear occur on the valve seats? My dad was telling me about a tool, almost like a suction cup, that could be placed on the valve, and along with grinding compound, could form the valve to the seat. Is this necessary? How does it work if I got new valves, would they have to be 'formed' to the valve seats?

Since they are mixed up, should I replace the valve guides as well? Is this something I could get by SAFELY without doing?

How do I right this?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It's called lapping, and it was done all the time when we had leaded gas and soft valve seats. Lapping compound and some elbow grease. My guess is that you could get running without lapping the valves in their new spots, but it may run a lil better if you do it. Relacing seals wouldn't hurt, either.

But you know what? if you put a micrometer on the valve stems and they measure the same, guides, seals, etc., will pobably be ok. And the seats are hard, and the valves should be round, so they are likely ok as well.

If head gaskets weren't so expensive, I'd say go ahead and try it and see if it runs. Just don't mix up the exhaust and intake valves and I'd bet $60 of your money (haha) that it's fine. Worst case, you ask your dad if he'll pay for or split the cost of a new head gasket set if it won't pass a leakdown check without lapping. Or ask him to help you redo the valves. wink1.gif
Old 07-16-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Thanks! I guess I'll try without it and see what happens.