Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Valve lapping

Old 12-01-2010 | 10:59 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tib
Default Valve lapping

I recently acquired a very high mileage (190K) beta 2 engine, tranny, and ecu. I'm looking to spend the next 5-6 months rebuilding it and finally after all these years, turboing my car. During the rebuild, I plan on putting in new pistons, rings, and doing all the internal stuff. I was told and read that when rebuilding engines for boost you should lap the valves. I have never heard of this so after doing some research I found the following

What lapping does is makes the valves seat like new again. When the valve is closed and there's not a perfect seal, you loose compression. Lapping the valves restores this. This is a great thing to do if your doing a turbo build with new internals since you will have the head off anyway. On high mileage engines its recommended to take the valves in to be ground before lapping.

So has anyone ever done this? Where can I find a tutorial or DIY on how to do this, or is it something a machine shop can do? I plan on having doing a full port & polish on the engine also so it will be going out to a local machine shop to have all that done.

Thanks if anyone can help me out on this.
Old 12-01-2010 | 11:28 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

In simple terms it just refinishes/sands the valves and to some extent the valve seats to return them to a uniform surface. For higher performance you are better off getting the valves knife edged and fitted properly to the head. But if you are doing it yourself lapping is easier and more consistant then trying to knife edge valves without the proper tools which are more expensive then letting the machine shop do it for you. Take and post lots of pics on your project and good luck
Old 12-01-2010 | 02:57 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

^pretty much

Your also going to want to grind out the seats if the head is at the shop already.

The machine shop, if they're nice people, should hit it with a 45angle stone, if not just request it. It doesn't take that long to do if the valves are out.
Old 12-01-2010 | 04:25 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

These are great ideas. I'm going to be undertaking a rebuild soon too so I am definitely interested in how this works out for you.

Post lots and lots of pics, keep us updated with the build.

Also, nice avatar :3