Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Valve cover gasket ?

Old 05-12-2002, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve cover gasket ?

I took off my valve cover (motor top) to paint it and on the gasket there are these half circular rubber spots that are attached to it, well when I was taking it loose the little half cirlce rubber things kina separated from the main gasket. Its not by much though just kinna on the edge. Will this affect things at all? Should I put a new gasket in? What is the worst that would happen if say it was bad, just leak a little oil? How much torque goes on the bolts that hold down the valve cover?
Old 05-12-2002, 07:35 AM

dannyboy:
I took off my motor top to paint it and on the gasket there are these half circular rubber spots that are attached to it, well when I was taking it loose the little half cirlce rubber things kina separated from the main gasket. Its not by much though just kinna on the edge. Will this affect things at all? Should I put a new gasket in? What is the worst that would happen if say it was bad, just leak a little oil? How much torque goes on the bolts that hold down the valve cover?
You should ALWAYS replace the gasket when you take off your head. That's something that you don't just let leak a little oil. That's a main part of your engine. Change it. They are cheap enough. And as far as torquing the head don't worry about it. You can and prob should but it's not gonna kill the car. I'm not sure the exact torque. I'm sure someone will come up with it for you.
Old 05-12-2002, 07:47 AM

Thanks for replying but Im talking about the valve cover gasket, not the head gasket. I think the torque for it is 15 lbs? I think the gasket should be fine, if it leaks or something Ill just keep adding oil and get a new one.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:51 AM

dannyboy:
Thanks for replying but Im talking about the valve cover gasket, not the head gasket. I think the torque for it is 15 lbs? I think the gasket should be fine, if it leaks or something Ill just keep adding oil and get a new one.
I know that's what your talkin about. Sorry I call it the head. Maybe I should have been more specific. And yes you should replace it ASAP. Don't be foolish and let it go leaking and adding oil. If your engine leaks oil get it fixed. It's not good for it.
Old 05-12-2002, 12:05 PM

you should alsways change it. Also you don't want to over torque either. It could crush the gasket
Old 05-12-2002, 01:30 PM

i torqued it till i saw the gasket squish out a little. If you over torque it, it'll squish too mutch and actually pop out or break.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

whoa whoa whoa...are we talking the valve cover, or the spark plug wire cover...the part that goes down the middle of the valve cover?
Old 05-13-2002, 05:28 PM

It's best to torque down the v-c gasket to spec. and use some gasket sealant (RV silicone works fine) when installing it. Believe me, that sh!t won't leak. You won't have to worry about adding your oil ever so frequently and at the same time have an "oil-free" engine compartment. Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again for a while.