Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

V6 fuel milage (6spd)

Old 04-06-2003, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V6 fuel milage (6spd)

So i have a brand new V6 6speed (about 500 miles so far) and yes i know due to the new motor, fuel milage sucks but how about you guys driving these tibs for a while? I observed 19 mpg after my first fill up and 22 mpg after my 2nd. this is my driving back and forth to work (25 miles 1 way) and driving around town a little. I now the paper says 18 city 27 highway but what have you guys been doing?

please notate mods if any
Old 04-06-2003, 02:11 PM

well, is your drive to work city or highway? i'm also not sure how the epa gets their figures, but having the air on will decrease your miles/gallon. try keeping the rpms a little lower throughout the whole driving cycle.

[ April 06, 2003, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: turbulence ]
Old 04-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

It's too new to compare mileage figures. Wait till you have at least 2000 miles on the motor.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:27 PM

Just want to warn(?) you that there has been an ECU flash upgrade to UK V6's to resolve some of the power & gas milage issues... this is a dealer optional fix, not a general recall... IE the dealer can elect to carry out the fix, or ignore it and plead ignorance if you ask...
Old 04-07-2003, 01:11 AM

Well, i've been driving w/o AC, and its all highway to work. So far the mpg's seem to be improving with every fill up.

Now i did here about a ECU reflash for US V6 tibs that have hesitation problems around 3k rpms... does anyone know how many tibs may have this problem, generally speaking? I mean is it a rare thing and the problem very specific (ie. hesitation at only 3200 rpms) or is this problem
found within a certain manufacture date and can occur between say, 2500-3500 rpms?

Richard734, i don't think that ECU reflash may have anything to do with us US folks due to problably the different fuel octane found over in the U.K. and different emissions. At least i hope it doesn't or maybe the ECU reflash in the US is the same as in the U.K. ???

If i go to the dealer for a reflash i'd rather go prepared with valid documentation so i have some leverage but why wouldn't hyundai recognize the problem and be prepared to help any customers? We did buy their products you know! dunno
Old 04-07-2003, 07:00 PM

Dude, Well the octane ratings are about the same, we just use a diferent measurement (if that makes sense??) And you could be right about emissions..
However, being as Gas is like $1.10 a LITRE!! over here, we tend to be a bit more anal about milage smile.gif So I figure they may only see it as a problem over here...
Unfortunatly, I dont own a 3rd gen, so my info is 2nd hand via contacts in the trade... I will try and get some more details and pass them on