Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Unorthodox Pulley Update

Old 10-05-2001 | 08:17 AM

Default Unorthodox Pulley Update

ok
i went to speed and truck world today and spoke with someone from unorthodox racing.he said that the crank shaft pulley will not affect the tiburon or elantra. if you stay within the preamiters of the stock rpm's
you will have no problems.but once you exceed 200 hspwr you should adjust the engine weight distribution to alighn the pulley so you wont have any problems.i showed him the paperwork of the problems and he said that the main problems were in the bmw's.
but me personally im going to do the bim/btb and 4-2-1 headers first
ltr
Old 10-05-2001 | 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Uh...did you honestly expect them to say,
yes, our product will damage your engine, everyone else who buys it is a complete moron...

I'm sure if you called them and specifically asked about a inline-6 cylinder BMW, they would happily sell you the part with not a word of caution mentioned....
Old 10-05-2001 | 12:21 PM

but then dont you expect if they told you it wouldnt affect the cars that if somethin g went wrong they would be held responsible?
Old 10-05-2001 | 12:57 PM

the guys form unorthodox really do know their stuff.

i know for a fact they would not sell a product that will eventually hurt your engine.

i know and read all the stuff in regards to it. but my conclusion is its perfectly safe.

i bet if one person said enkei wheels were crap then told their friends the same. that it will get passed on .

do you know what im saying.
Old 10-05-2001 | 01:08 PM

i appreciate your vote of confidence.
its nice not to get a negative reply for once.
Old 10-05-2001 | 02:47 PM

Well, I have been thinking about them for some time and since I don't plan on wiring fifteen speakers into the car, I think I may be okay with one. However, the voices of concern raised here have peeked my interest and I find myself unsettled. The final point is that I have faith in my car and I have confidence that the engine will hold. I do plan on using it, but next year.
Old 10-05-2001 | 03:37 PM

but to put it this way no mater what mod you do if you abuse it it will fail anything from turbos, to nitros, to pullies, speakers etc.

so you have to use your judgement, their is never no right or wrong answer

the only answer is the choice you make.
Old 10-05-2001 | 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by dj_dlrm:
but to put it this way no mater what mod you do if you abuse it it will fail anything from turbos, to nitros, to pullies, speakers etc.

so you have to use your judgement, their is never no right or wrong answer

the only answer is the choice you make.

Well said. For most, the cost, time, money, problems of a turbo install are just not worth it for them. But I made the personal choice to try to make it work. And yes...I've had problems! but I expected them going in, and made my own informed decision.

I just want to make sure everyone/anyone knows the potenial side effects of an underdrive pulley. I may come off a tad negative on Unorthodox Racing as a company, and that is not my intention.
Old 10-06-2001 | 01:26 AM

I've had an Unortodox Pulley in my Elantra for about 6 months now, I haven't noticed any problems yet. what I'd like to know is what symptoms would I see and about how long before I would start seeing them?
Old 10-06-2001 | 01:33 AM

I've had one on my car for around six months also and I haven't noticed anything bad. I just did some research in Unorthodox seemed to be on the level so I trust them.