Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Type Of Cat

Old 07-22-2005, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

I disagree with OP. I definitely think you should have a cat. Breathable air is a good thing.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:51 AM

Give a hoot OP. Damnit. drillsergeant.gif

I'm all in favor of using a sniffer during inspection, which will be required in central VA in a few years. We're already having high ozone days here in Richmond now that it's so hot, and it caused by cars.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:02 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

hahah OP i would have saved a lot of money to have no cat... however doesn't a cat decrease the noise output of the exhaust? i'm not entirely sure of that though.

right now they're passing laws similar to california laws in MD, but they say Bush is taking action when it will be 10 years before anybody passes state laws in Maryland regarding smog emissions. there was an article in the paper saying that the reasons we are getting record temperatures is because of smog. but i also don't believe a little tiburon would hurt the environment without a cat. it's those old cars which are destroying everything, the SUV's, the vans, the trucks, the freightliners, airplanes. so OP is right. we're nothing compared to what's out there causing you to choke outside. i live in the city. i checked satellite imaging of my house and it says it's urban. i WISH i lived in the suburbs because they're really really nice and clean... however i'm stuck here with the thousands of people who commute everyday, where the crime is, where the roads suck, and when it's a difficult and time consuming task to go to the grocery store 5 mins away taking you 15 mins + some fag cutting you off and you hitting a cracked manhole flattening your tire (yes i have a $100 flat right now). me and odessitpashka live in the nation's capitol, in two of the biggest most crowded cities next to new york and miami on the entire east coast. what we see destroying the ozone layer right in front of us in daily 1 hour commute driving to school and work, the crowded airports, the thousands of freightliners, the moving trucks, Ford F350's... nobody can make us believe we're the ones causing the smog, cat or no cat.

the only reason i got a cat was because when i was messing with that darned evap cannister and tried to snoop my way around it, the computer especially in an automatic transmission is so damn sensitive it catches everything... so i didn't want to fool the computer again. 02.gif

OK...

Two more questions.

1) The gaskets. How many, 1 or 2 in between the flanges?

2) Where can I get the O2 Sensor Extension wires from? Do they make O2 Sensor Extention harness' for us, of anybody knows where I can get a premade harness please share!! If there are certain wires I can get at home depot or radioshack to extend the sensors to, what kind would they be and how many?

I need to get all the parts myself and have my mechanic install everything, but he doesn't have custom resources so I need to come up with all the things necessary. I'm about 80% away and not trying to spend the fraudulent $650 for this when my personal mechanic can do it for 1/6th the price. THANKS GUYS.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

you may not be contributing a whole bunch of pollutants to the air when compared to everyone else, but thats the same mentality all those other people have.

if you decide to drive without a CAT, i hope you get pulled over and fined for it. this goes to everyone who wants a cat-less daily driver too. the catco cats are so damn cheap on ebay, that you have no excuse.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:23 PM

Unbelievable. Some people are still under the notion that cats make you lose a lot of HP. Modern day hi-flow cats may make you lose about 1-2hp...maximum. People b!tch about 5-10hp. And they're the morons who run 89 octane, blowing putrid smoke out of their ass.

I prefer the Magnaflows, but the Catcos are really cheap. As for sound wise...yeah, they dampen the sound a bit, which is better than people with fart cans as mufflers (no offense, but that Apexi N1 imitation is a good example of loud and ricey). Find some Magnaflow muffler, and you won't regret the deep tone, instead of the loud "hornets in a can" ricer sound.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:19 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i agree with arctic(rare event...lol) on this one

anyone who drives without a cat should be forced to inhale the dam fumes that the car gives out...

even on my precat monte carlo i installed cats on it i didnt need to but if im gonna deplete a fossil fuel i might as well help the environment some and even with the est. 400 hp i was pumping out i still worked the car to get 17mpg on the freeway and 15 city not bad for a 33 year old car that ran with carbs