Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Type Of Cat

Old 07-08-2005, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I need your help! I should have my exhaust shipping in and I will be ready to have my GT Headers installed and 1.8L cam. The car will sound really nice. My question goes out mostly to those 1997 drivers because if my car was a 1999-2001 there would be no problems.

I have a 1997 Tiburon therefore the exhaust system is set up a little different. To begin with, the 1997 Tiburons have their cats in the engine bay as part of the downpipe. If I'm correct, it only has one oxygen sensor.

I have some sterling coated Maintec GT Headers from the group buy a few months ago and it came with a downpipe with an O2 bung after the flex pipe.

I want to put a cat after the downpipe just like the 2000 Tiburon, and then bolt on my exhaust after that avoiding a CEL at all costs.

Is this a good place to put a cat? What kind of cat should I get? They have some good deals from hottexhaust.com $71.00
Do you think that rounded one would be good? What if I'm running a supercharger? Are there two oxygen sensors in my car and will there be a CEL if the sensor is placed before the cat right off the downpipe?

Also are there any difference between catco cats from ebay and magnaflow except for the price tags?
Old 07-08-2005, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

get a catco. they are great, and cheap.

you have 2 oxygen sensors. one cat in the engine bay, and one after the flex pipe. you will be eliminating the cat in the engine bay(1st cat) with your header. therefore, you will need to move th esensors a bit. leave the bung on the flex pipe there, but you will need to weld a bung after the 2nd cat.

basically, you need to make sure there is a cat between the two sensors. and dont change which sensor sees exhaust gas first, and which sees it last.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:47 PM

thanks tibby01! Hmm... well, I think 1997's only have 1 catalytic converter... I'm not sure though.

there is a catalytic converter available from that same online store for $67 which I think has an O2 bung right in the cat itself! So would it be ok instead of having a bung welded, just extend the wires of the O2 sensor down and fit the sensor into the cat like this one?
Old 07-08-2005, 08:44 PM

if the 97 only had one cat.. it would be under the car, not in the engine bay.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:05 AM

If you get the one with a built-in bung you can potentially save a lot of money. I think I was charged for a full hour of labor to get a bung installed.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:15 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Jul 9 2005, 11:47 AM)
Hmm... well, I think 1997's only have 1 catalytic converter... I'm not sure though.

You'll see right away if you have a cat under the car... Just take a look!

Mine is a 97. My exhaust manifold is stock & does not have a cat in it but that may have something to do with Australian spec.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:37 AM

Get a catco or some other high flow cat.

You will need to extend wires from your second o2 sensor and weld a bung after the cat.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:28 PM

lol, OP that's me being annoying asking that question hundreds of times. nana.gif

Ok, what is this ordeal? that little tube sticking out?? i'm such a noob.

OzFx, yep your cat is probably on the bottom. i looked at mine. the cat is definitely in the engine right on the downpipe there. the heat shield from it gets BURNING hot. wouldn't want to be anything touching it because it burns H20 crisp like it never existed. water actually bounces off of it at times because it's hot! LOL.

ok, i think that second pic of that cat there looks like an O2 bung. it will save a lot of money if i can just get that instead of having to drill into the exhaust! Then i can just order flanges from ebay easy. if i spend $60 i know i will get a good cat and i won't have to worry about going to a shop. can somebody confirm if this cat direct with bung actually works?

Old 07-09-2005, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

that tube is the line to the air pump if i am not mistaken... but you got the wrong one brother sent that back get the same one just without the O2 tube.. all hyundai and daewoo dont us that set up.. dont install it

that is not an o2 bung
Old 07-10-2005, 10:53 AM

thanks Mad_john! that clears the fog up. that really isn't an O2 bung? i was crossing my fingers.

i still have yet to order one, but with your help i will get the right one.