Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Is this true??

Old 05-12-2002, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is illegal to change or even move a cat while your car is under warranty, unless it is damaged and needs replacement. Federal law in US and Canada.
Old 05-12-2002, 12:47 PM

From a Federal EPA standpoint, yes it is illegal to remove a functional cat from a car. A cat will usually carry an 80K mile lifespan as long as the car is properly maintained. If you read the fine print of your vehicle warranty, you will see that the catalyst system carries this 80K mile warranty.

Some states require you to carry certification on a replaced cat. This would have information as to why is was replaced, who replaced it, the mileage when it was done, etc. The 'who' can't be your next-door neighbor either. It is generally required to be a state licensed exhaust shop.

There is a common myth, urban legend that everyone seems to cling to. Removing a cat or even replacing it with a high-flow unit does not net you any negligible HP gains on a four cylinder car. In a general ballpark you may be talking from a two to five percent gain.

More and more states are going to a sniffer test to get your tags renewed. There is a reason they are doing this. Cars that are not maintained, cars that are without a cat, happen to be a part of the reason ... like it or not. Where do you think C.A.R.B. came from??
Old 05-12-2002, 12:56 PM

like everyone esle said it is illegal but what is not illegal when it somes to aftermarket parts on cars i know if i took my car for emissions tomorow it would pass but if they looked under my car they would fine me and give me a citation to have it changed back to factory but the chances of that happing are slim to none you have to take your chances
Old 05-12-2002, 01:48 PM
mYu

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

So if I got the Kore exhaust it'd be illegal?
Old 05-12-2002, 02:07 PM

No, because it is a cat back exhaust. It runs from the catalytic converter back, therefore leaving the cat intact.
Old 05-13-2002, 12:16 AM

A good quality high flow cat will still meet or exceed emissions tests, so long as your engine is tuned correctly(i.e. not putting out tons of pollutants). There are plenty of people out there running them.

Sure a high-flow may only give you 2-5% power. But that's about the same as only a cat-back on our cars. Even doing the whole exhaust from the headers to the muffler will net you 10-15%. So relatively, for about $100 installed(net cost if included with other exhaust work) it's not a bad mod.

Hyundai put a reasonable sized exhaust on our cars, all things considered. It's not like the Hondas and so many American compacts with a straw sticking out under the back bumper. There isn't as much benefit to be had--but there is a gain.