Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Transmission Swap

Old 03-04-2010 | 12:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

i'll think more about the lightweight flywheel...i tough that the gripforce one would be a great «bang for the buck» but it seems that some people had bad experiences with it. Fidanza flywheel really ain't in my price range, so i might just get the stock one resurfaced.

For the grinding, it occurs especially when shifting into second, and sometimes in third. Its worse when i shift at high rpm but even if i shift at 2500/3000rpm it does it pretty often like 1/2.
Old 03-04-2010 | 12:20 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

My Beta I had that problem. I swapped to a Beta II, and haven't had any problems even with 3x's the HP.
Old 03-04-2010 | 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If there were metal *shavings or chunks* in the gear oil, that's a big problem. If there were golden flecks like a metallic car paint job, that's probably normal wear.

If they didn't put the right oil, it could be making things very much worse. GL-5 is not compatible with yellow metals (brass synchronizers) in Hyundai manual transmissions. The wrong weight would make a huge difference, as would a cheap non-synthetic oil. It is sooooo much less work to change the oil than to change a transaxle, it is worth a shot. Especially if you had someone ELSE change it last time. The problem is more dramatically bad with automatics which will eventually fail altogether, but if the wrong oil (rating, weight, and type) is used in your manual gearbox it will eventually chew itself to pieces.

Redline has distributors in Canada. Hit their website's dealer locator.

I had never changed a transaxle either, until I converted my car to standard from automatic. The knowledge is available. Avail yourself of it and save anywhere from $$$ to $$$$, and through the years you will save $$$$$ by doing your own labor. Even if you have to buy a full suite of tools, you will STILL end up saving money by using your own labor. Plus, you can know that your car was treated properly and the job was done right.

These cars are s.i.m.p.l.e and if you can turn a wrench you could probably build one from scratch. In the mean time, try as much as possible to rev-match on your shifts every time, to get as much life as you can out of your clutch until it is replaced. If you don't ask it to slip, the glazing won't get any worse and (yes really) it may actually get better.