Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Transmission Removal

Old 11-11-2005, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok heres the situation. I have the transmission and engine still together. But its been pulled from the car. ALL bolts connecting the tranny and engine are removed.. HOW do i get this separated!?!

Also on a side note does anyone know the torque specs on the bolts that hold the flywheel to the engine?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

pull it apart real hard. your going to need to find a way to secure the engine pretty good. then look for a good place to pry on. be careful not to break anything though.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:01 PM

i've R&R'd tranny's before, but never my own, i have an '01 tib manual, according to it, you just need to take the bolts loose and vuala. i'm assuming it's a manual tranny, but the book states the tightening torque for the flywheel is 89-96 lb. ft. (120-130Nm)

i was looking at the picture in the book also, and there are i "think" 2 bolts that hold the bell housing cover to the engine, make sure you take those off.. i don't "believe" you need to pry on it @ all.. if all the bolts are off, it should come off with ease (like with a very slight pry).. ^^^not trying to contradict, but giving my thoughts.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:43 AM

it not coming off....
Old 11-12-2005, 12:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

"Force" it off???? Wow, you guys just gave him the worst advice you could ever give someone in this situation. By forcing it apart, he'll probaby break the fork, or bend the input shaft, or crack the housing, or something else expensive.

It comes off VERY EASY. If it doesn't, then you're forgetting something. What you probably forgot was to unbolt the clutch fork arm on the out side of the tranny. It's only one bolt, about a 12mm. By pulling this off, it allows the TO bearing to release itself from the tranny. Otherwise, it won't move even after having all the housing bolts removed.
Make sure you removed the starter from the back also.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:23 PM

where exactley is the bolt? there is a 14mm bolt near the slave cylinder but i cant find a 12mm bolt.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:44 PM

I'm not 100% on the size. But it's either 12 or 14. It's the one that holds down the lever. The slave cylinder pushes this lever. Once you take the slave cylinder off, the lever is the only thing left on the tranny in that area. Pull it off and the fork will be able to rotate completely so the tranny will be be able to almost fall off.

I swear this is a step that almost every person forgets. And you sit there for hours trying to figure out why the tranny isnt falling off.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:28 PM

"Force" it off???? Wow, you guys just gave him the worst advice you could ever give someone in this situation. By forcing it apart, he'll probaby break the fork, or bend the input shaft, or crack the housing, or something else expensive.

i never told him to force his tranny off... i said it should @ the most have the slightest of a pry to come off, not to force it off. like i said, i've pulled tranny's before but NEVER my own, and i'm beginning to have doubts about my hyundai manual cause it leaves way too much information out.. (too vaugue)

please read what i said next time before making me look stupid.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:51 PM

In reference to this comment:
QUOTE (Supercow @ Nov 11 2005, 01:54 PM)
pull it apart real hard. your going to need to find a way to secure the engine pretty good. then look for a good place to pry on. be careful not to break anything though.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:28 AM

ah ok, thats actually a nut jon... wink1.gif but i wont hold it against you.. thanks for the help, i was wondering if it being a pull type clutch that it was going to create this type of issue. so any recomendations on how to reposition the fork once i get the tranny back on?